Brand new Sprint LG G pad 7.0 memory issue

Cinderela0629

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Newbie here. I searched and couldn't find an answer to my problem (hope I'm not being repetitive). I just got the G pad F 7.0 (running 5.0.1) on Sprint's free promotion and I am not loving it so far.

I installed a Sandisk 64G memory card immediately. Had the pad erase & reformat the card and it seems to be working normally. Shows under storage with the apps I moved to the SD card and the apps work fine. Moved everything to the SD card that had an option to move.

The issue is probably the same others have had. 8G internal memory and the mysterious "system data" is consuming 4.41 G of space! No other files or apps are consuming more than 9 megs of storage. (Also weird - I moved the Kindle for Android app to the SD card, but the new downloads are not going to the card, but to the internal storage.) There is now only 700 megs of available space, which is obviously nowhere near enough.

I had hoped to use this to replace 2 devices when traveling (laptop & Kindle), but unless this problem is solved, that can't happen.

I'm a total newbie to tablets and have never even thought about rooting a device. From the research I've been doing, it seems I may have no other choice.

I saw on another thread that someone attempted to solve the problem via Sprint/LG and didn't have any luck, so that probably won't work - and Sprint's customer service has always sucked, anyway.

Any suggestions or or hints to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The OS and preinstalled bloatware will always take up at least 3-4 GB of storage, so an 8 GB device will only have about 4-5 GB available to the user at most. This is standard practice for all device, including iPhones and iPads. Apps these days are getting bigger and bigger, which is why an 8 GB device isn't very practical, unless you're only using it for very basic things. Many even consider 16 GB to be too small. The microSD card has always been intended for media storage, not installing apps, so it doesn't really help much in this situation. You might be able to move a portion of an app to the SD, but never the whole app, and when installing an app, it has to download to internal storage first, not the SD.

See this guide for tips on how to maximize your storage: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Cinderela0629

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your speedy reply B. Diddy!

I didn't expect that much for free, but this is ridiculous! Is there no way to get rid of the bloatware short of rooting the device? Disabling is all well and good, but it's still using valuable storage space! Since the darn thing was free, I may have to resort to rooting. I'm sure I can find good step by step instructions somewhere. Or an app. I see some in the Google play store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23