11-14-2016 09:04 AM
194 12345 ...
tools Reply
    I uninstalled the Google App update, and can't get "Tap to Speak" back on. I guess getting it back to default means no Tap to Speak unless you update, which will bring me back to the problem? Is there a way to manually enable the old version of TTS? Tried "Language and Input" settings and can't get TTS working. I have an S5 and so does my wife, both phones are having this issue.
    09-27-2015 08:09 PM
    That's very interesting--I had meant the Google App (which is responsible for the Google Search widget and Google Now, among other things), because it was recently updated. I don't recall the Text-to-Speech app being updated recently. But it's certainly possible that the update to the Google App somehow caused it to interact poorly with the Text-to-Speech engine, contributing to the freezes. It would be interesting, for those of you who are having this issue, to see what happens if you first uninstall the updates to Text-to-Speech. If that doesn't help, then go ahead and uninstall updates to the Google App (and you can probably re-update Text-to-Speech again).

For those of you who have already uninstalled updates to the Google App, try re-updating it, and then uninstalling updates to Google Text-to-Speech.
    Sorry B.Diddy, and everyone, my post #31 to uninstall the "Google Text-to-Speech" app only worked for 2 days. I updated that post twice to say it did not continue to solve the problem.

Plus, after thinking about it, why would "Text to Speech" uninstall work anyway when the issue is really with "Speech to Text," not "Text to Speech..." Not a separate app for "Speech to Text" though.....
    09-27-2015 09:30 PM
    Just as an FYI, this just started happening to me with my Motorola Droid Mini. So far the uninstallation of the Google App updates is doing the trick.
    09-27-2015 11:16 PM
    Bump. HTC One M8 on Lollipop 5.0.1 same issues as above. Just got a new M8 yesterday to replace defective one that had problems with WiFi and Bluetooth. Didn't see the problem on the old M8. Just uninstalled Google App updates. I'll be back...
    09-28-2015 12:09 AM
    So it seems to be a bug in the update.great.
    09-28-2015 02:18 AM
    Just wanted to confirm that I follow the instructions to uninstall latest Google update and now everything is fine. I can still use everything, I just don't have to restart my phone every time I forget and try to use the mic. I'm using an S5.
    09-28-2015 07:40 AM
    I am also getting this issue on a 1st gen moto x
    09-28-2015 10:13 AM
    Same issue, started yesterday... galaxy s4.
    09-28-2015 11:36 AM
    Thanks for the reddit link -- I have Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime and Tap to Speak would not close or respond. At first even positioning to Landscape did not help as the phone did not respond. Finally it did. Uninstalled Updates and cleared cache. Thanks!
    09-28-2015 12:55 PM
    After uninstalling the Google App update (Galaxy Note5), the frozen Google Voice window does immediately disappear. However, as others have noted, once you do this on the Note5, your microphone function is disabled (even though the microphone icon still shows on the keyboard, the phone cannot access that feature - an error shows instead saying "Cannot access microphone"). This occurs regardless of the app you're using or the keyboard style you have selected. After re-installing the update and fooling around with it some, it certainly appears to be a problem with the LOCK SCREEN messing with the Voice app. As long as I close the Google Voice window PRIOR to locking my screen, it works fine. As soon as I lock my screen, it's screwed up again. Real pain. Even allowing the Voice window to quit (or go dormant, or turn white, or whatever), I was still able to close it without any problems.
    09-28-2015 01:40 PM
    After uninstalling the Google App update (Galaxy Note5), the frozen Google Voice window does immediately disappear. However, as others have noted, once you do this on the Note5, your microphone function is disabled (even though the microphone icon still shows on the keyboard, the phone cannot access that feature - an error shows instead saying "Cannot access microphone"). This occurs regardless of the app you're using or the keyboard style you have selected. .
    Regarding the microphone being disabled: I have the Swiftkey Keyboard on a Galaxy S4 and the microphone function is still available after uninstalling the updates for the Google App. The Swiftkey Keyboard is great, and free.

I also disabled automatic updating (done in the Play Store menu). I guess I'll not update Google App for a week or so....
    09-28-2015 02:01 PM
    I think I found the fix, hold the button at the bottom of your cell phone until you see three options, the one on the lower right should allow you to clear pending applications, if you remove all of them it should resolve the issue at least it did for me.
    09-28-2015 02:03 PM
    Sorry - sent off before ready. A partial solution for the Galaxy 5 is to put the phone in landscape, then open all apps with the button at the bottom of the Galaxy 5, then close all apps and the freeze goes away (at least for me). This is quicker than a restart.
    09-28-2015 04:39 PM
    Note 3 on Rogers. Uninstalling Google App updates worked, now I have the old school red mic. Tired re-installing, and the problem immediately came back. You do NOT need to reset. Just hold the home button, go landscape, hit the pie chart and hit CLEAR MEMORY and you are all set.
    09-28-2015 05:49 PM
    Just to let those not advanced users, you will have to go to apps>settings>scroll to the "More" tab, and then go to application manager>and follow the instructions above It worked for me too!
    09-28-2015 06:28 PM
    Remember people; you don't have to remove the Google App entirely. Just roll back the most recent update.
    09-28-2015 06:55 PM
    Just letting everyone know that around the same time that happened to you, it has been happening to me on my galaxy s6 edge. The only thing that has happened is updates in terms of applications, no new ones. It has to be something with Google since it is its text to speech app.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-28-2015 06:59 PM
    Try tapping where the "OK" button should be. That works for me even if I can only see the very top edge of the button.
    09-28-2015 07:21 PM
    Uninstalling updates is what worked for me. I had the exact same issue on my Droid Maxx. A few days ago I started having the tap to speak stuck on my screen. Unfortunately, this covered about half the screen. There were no new apps installed, safe mode did not get rid of the problem, and it consistently happened every time I unlocked the screen or let tap to speak idle. Out of everything I had tried, uninstalling updates/factory default setting (on apps, not the phone!) for Google Apps worked.
    09-28-2015 07:25 PM
    I had same issue -- time out on voice turn off -- frozen tap to speak voice window-- uninstalled updates and I think it uninstalled the Google app -- then it prompted me to reinstall Google Now which I did and now the voice search works without getting locked up
    09-28-2015 07:38 PM
    Allie, where are the instructions above? I still can't figure out how to do this.
    09-28-2015 08:42 PM
    Exact same issue here... S Note 4. Uninstalled updates to the new Google App and rebooted and the tap to speak screen does NOT lock up after locking the screen when in that voice input mode anymore. Thank you soooo much for your help worn this very annoying issue!!!
    09-28-2015 09:48 PM
    After uninstalling updates to the Google app, reboot your phone and the microphone will come back just like it did before the new Google app was installed.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-28-2015 10:08 PM
    Go to applications, Google App. Just clear the Cache, select Manage Storage and clear everything out of manage storage. Solved it for me.
    09-28-2015 11:06 PM
    I can't uninstall, turn power off or anything. The screen freezes midway so I can't scroll to tap the 2nd time to confirm I want to unistall, or turn device off.
    I'm not tech savvy and very frustrated. Phone is 2 months old.
    Try tapping where the "ok" button should be. That works for me.
    09-29-2015 02:50 AM
194 12345 ...