The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me

lanten22

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
After uninstalling the Google App update (Galaxy Note5), the frozen Google Voice window does immediately disappear. However, as others have noted, once you do this on the Note5, your microphone function is disabled (even though the microphone icon still shows on the keyboard, the phone cannot access that feature - an error shows instead saying "Cannot access microphone"). This occurs regardless of the app you're using or the keyboard style you have selected. .

Regarding the microphone being disabled: I have the Swiftkey Keyboard on a Galaxy S4 and the microphone function is still available after uninstalling the updates for the Google App. The Swiftkey Keyboard is great, and free.

I also disabled automatic updating (done in the Play Store menu). I guess I'll not update Google App for a week or so....

fabrizio calmasini

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I think I found the fix, hold the button at the bottom of your cell phone until you see three options, the one on the lower right should allow you to clear pending applications, if you remove all of them it should resolve the issue at least it did for me.

Gormican

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Sorry - sent off before ready. A partial solution for the Galaxy 5 is to put the phone in landscape, then open all apps with the button at the bottom of the Galaxy 5, then close all apps and the freeze goes away (at least for me). This is quicker than a restart.

Rythmicone

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Note 3 on Rogers. Uninstalling Google App updates worked, now I have the old school red mic. Tired re-installing, and the problem immediately came back. You do NOT need to reset. Just hold the home button, go landscape, hit the pie chart and hit CLEAR MEMORY and you are all set.

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Just letting everyone know that around the same time that happened to you, it has been happening to me on my galaxy s6 edge. The only thing that has happened is updates in terms of applications, no new ones. It has to be something with Google since it is its text to speech app.

Posted via the Android Central App

nixiepixie16

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Uninstalling updates is what worked for me. I had the exact same issue on my Droid Maxx. A few days ago I started having the tap to speak stuck on my screen. Unfortunately, this covered about half the screen. There were no new apps installed, safe mode did not get rid of the problem, and it consistently happened every time I unlocked the screen or let tap to speak idle. Out of everything I had tried, uninstalling updates/factory default setting (on apps, not the phone!) for Google Apps worked.

Servvant

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had same issue -- time out on voice turn off -- frozen tap to speak voice window-- uninstalled updates and I think it uninstalled the Google app -- then it prompted me to reinstall Google Now which I did and now the voice search works without getting locked up

njruffsters

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Exact same issue here... S Note 4. Uninstalled updates to the new Google App and rebooted and the tap to speak screen does NOT lock up after locking the screen when in that voice input mode anymore. Thank you soooo much for your help worn this very annoying issue!!!

looster

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the advice. This starting happening on my Galaxy S4 on Friday. I called my carrier, they were no help, and ended up ordering a new phone, which I will now be returning! I have uninstalled Google updates and have stopped auto-updating, and that seems to have fixed the problem for now!

John C Newbern IV

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Note 4! I I uninstalled the update in the Google App and my phone no longer freezes on the tap to speak card. I also turned off auto updates!

I can confirm that you guys need to uninstall updates in the Google App, NOT the Text to Speak app!

Also, if your microphone disappeared, download the SwiftKey keyboard and use that instead. It's much better than the stock keyboard.

I'm sure the Google App will be fixed soon and then we can reinstall the updates.

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Omg! This is so unbelievably annoying I just got the new note 5 2 weeks ago and this wouldn't quit happening so I took it up to Verizon they replaced the phone and now the new note 5 is doing it I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to fix this without having to restart the phone 100 times a day did you ever find a solution any help would be extremely appreciated thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084