11-14-2016 09:04 AM
194 ... 5678
tools Reply
    I LOVE this feature as I am not that great at typing on the small keyboard. (a senior here who grew up using larger keyboards). Its great for texting.
    Been dealing with this issue like everyone else here. I have a Galaxy S6.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have tried all of the below and nothing worked. It still happens several times a day.

1. uninstalling latest update
    2. switching keyboards
    3. resetting the "ok Google" voice
    10-03-2015 08:48 AM
    I came in here because this problem has been happening for about a week and a half now so damn frustrating and I found this forum and did what you suggested! Going into the apps manager and uninstalling the update seems to have worked thank you!
    10-03-2015 08:20 PM
    Just want to say thank you I was about to throw my phone across the room after this is been happening for about two weeks now! Did just that and now it's fine my microphone is still there in the freezing has stopped and I went in and took the auto update for the Google app off until I hear further notice
    luvyrpets likes this.
    10-03-2015 08:35 PM
    I turned off updates on google app, did not work. For me, the cure has finally been to disable google text to speech. I went into applications and "forced stop" with clearing of all cache and turned off notifications and updates.

Problem appears solved for the moment. The google app change did not work for me.

I really don't see why I need text to speech. Everything seems to work fine, including "speech to text" for making messages.
    10-04-2015 10:57 AM
    When, oh when will Google correct their faulty update? This has been and continues to be a very annoying situation! Google is SLOW to correct their errors. C'mon Google, get with it!
    dharrisonline likes this.
    10-04-2015 02:25 PM
    When, oh when will Google correct their faulty update? This has been and continues to be a very annoying situation! Google is SLOW to correct their errors. C'mon Google, get with it!
    I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that it's taking this long, Google usually is quick at releasing bug fixes, are they not?
    10-04-2015 03:03 PM
    I went in and uninstalled the updates for the Google Text to Speech app and the problem is solved!!
    10-04-2015 08:46 PM
    I went in and uninstalled the updates for the Google Text to Speech app and the problem is solved!!
    I did exactly what you did, Colorado and began to test it, but the screen froze again. The only way to get rid of it is to restart the phone.
    10-05-2015 06:54 AM
    I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that it's taking this long, Google usually is quick at releasing bug fixes, are they not?
    I have uninstalled the updates to the speak to text feature and then chose "no" on the automatic updates. That did NOT solve the problem. Well, I am tired of trying to find a solution to this annoying problems. I found out where to send feedback about the Google app. I went into great detail. They asked to describe exactly what was happening, so I did! LOL

Then I gave them the URL to this forum. I told them there were a lot of unhappy people and that I was not an isolated incident. I asked them to find a solution to this very annoying problem ASAP. Now let's see if I get any response or if I get a "canned" message that could be for any problem. lol

Anyone who wants to do what I did, go to Google Maps. Click on the horizontal lines on the upper left corner. That opens the menu. It should have your Google email address and your screen name on it. Scroll down to the very last item and click on Send Feedback. You will be given a list of options. Click on "Send app feedback" Your keyboard will come up and you will be able to write your message.
    dharrisonline likes this.
    10-05-2015 07:47 AM
    Thought I had a work around but the 2nd time it didn't work ... Grrrr.

Found this on another thread ... too much of a newbie here to post a link.
    1. Click on the settings icon on frozen screen (for me, this still works). It will activate the settings page for Google Voice Typing (GVT)

2 Hard click (hold/press) on center menu button--this will show all open applications, with GVT screen open on top. EDIT On my Galaxy S5 I touch the Apps button to the left of the home button.

3. Slide or X out to close that app, and the frozen screen will disappear with it! EDIT You are only needing to close the settings for Google Voice and it should be at the bottom on top.

Hope this helps others until a permanent solution is found.

Worked for me!
    10-05-2015 11:02 AM
    Unfortunately, the Settings button does not work on the frozen screen. None of the buttons work for me. All buttons are white or grayed out. The Settings button the microphone button and the button that has the X to cross out a word, do not work. Thank you for the idea.
    10-05-2015 01:24 PM
    Same issues with my Note 5, If I force the screen to turn off by short pushing the power key and then wake the phone back up the frozen "tap to speak" screen disappears....GOOGLE NEED a FIX!!!!
    10-05-2015 03:38 PM
    Thought I had a work around but the 2nd time it didn't work ... Grrrr.

Found this on another thread ... too much of a newbie here to post a link.
    1. Click on the settings icon on frozen screen (for me, this still works). It will activate the settings page for Google Voice Typing (GVT)

2 Hard click (hold/press) on center menu button--this will show all open applications, with GVT screen open on top. EDIT On my Galaxy S5 I touch the Apps button to the left of the home button.

3. Slide or X out to close that app, and the frozen screen will disappear with it! EDIT You are only needing to close the settings for Google Voice and it should be at the bottom on top.

Hope this helps others until a permanent solution is found.

Worked for me!
    Ok. So now I got the settings button on the frozen screen that I CAN press. The settings did come up for voice, but I don't know what you are talking about "center menu button" There is no button on that page for me unless it's under the frozen screen.....I just restarted my phone to get the frozen screen off there to see if the settings page has a "center menu button" that would be under the frozen screen when it's frozen. There is not. I have this when I click the settings button on the frozen screen....

Lanugages(Default English), "Ok Google," Hands Free, Speech output, Offline speech recognition, block offensive words and bluetooth headset. None of these are buttons, so what now? lol
    10-05-2015 04:03 PM
    I uninstalled updates on the new google and it went back to factory mode and worked. Then reinstalled new google update to see and it froze again so for sure is a google update issue. Unfortunately until a patch is created you have to choose if the new update is worth the hassle or not. Thanks for the help.
    10-05-2015 05:24 PM
    Google Support, Moni K

Google Support 7:28 PM
    You are now connected to Moni K. Please type your message and hit 'Enter' to send.
    Moni K 7:28 PM
    Hi Darwin! Thanks for getting in touch with Google. My name is Moni.
    me 7:28 PM
    HI,
    Moni K 7:28 PM
    How are you doing today?
    me 7:29 PM
    I have a Samsung S6 edge plus phone. The google text to speech causes the phone to freeze. This is a well reported issue
    Moni K 7:30 PM
    I'll look into this for you.
    Please give me 2-3 minutes while I look into this for you.
    me 7:30 PM
    There is an entire thread in Android forums dedicates tto this issue.

Moni K 7:31 PM
    May I know since when are you experiencing this issue?
    me 7:32 PM
    Any time messaging is opened and a message is sent, the screen freezes up and can not be closed without a complete power down.
    The short term solution is to "hard stop" text to speech and stop all updates.
    Moni K 7:34 PM
    I can understand that this is troubling a lot.
    May I know if you would like to disable that feature?
    me 7:35 PM
    I have disabled the feature. The problem is the feature is causing the problem. This is a serious and well known problem. When will it be fixed.???
    Moni K 7:37 PM
    I'm sorry, I know how inconvenient it could be.
    Well, my development team will take care of the issue and the issue should be fixed with the next update roll down.
    me 7:39 PM
    To confirm you will submit this, could you answer this Turing question? Do you prefer hot or cold tea?
    Moni K 7:40 PM
    It sounds interesting. I would prefer hot tea.
    Please be assured, I'll forward the feedback to my concerned team.
    me 7:40 PM
    Thank you
    Moni K 7:40 PM
    My team will definitely take that into consideration
    10-05-2015 06:44 PM
    Google Support, Moni K
    Moni K 7:31 PM
    May I know since when are you experiencing this issue?
    me 7:32 PM
    Any time messaging is opened and a message is sent, the screen freezes up and can not be closed without a complete power down.
    The short term solution is to "hard stop" text to speech and stop all updates.
    Moni K 7:34 PM
    This forum's topic is about the "Tap to Speak" issue... you seem to be talking about a different issue altogether ("any time messaging is opened and a message is sent...").
    10-05-2015 06:49 PM
    THIS FIXED FREEZING! I have the Note 4 and this is how I fixed my voice to text screen freezing.. I went into Settings by swiping down ( settings button is the little wheel on top right) then Applications, then to Application manager then to downloaded apps and scroll to Google App, select "uninstall updates" THEN go to Playstore , select menu on the left ( it is the three lines) then scroll down to settings, then set "do not auto update" This will keep your phone from updating the google app with errors all over again.

Note* When I did the above I lost the mic on the keyboard so I REBOOTED my phone. Now my Google Voice to Text window is black instead of white.
    Here’s how I confirmed that my Voice to text won’t freeze again and IS FIXED. If you can force your phone to freeze by doing the steps below then your phone isn't fixed. I have been FREEZE FREE for 24 hours!! I Can’t replicate it like below so problem solved:

Here's how to replicate this issue:
    1- say some words with voice to text and send.
    2- TAP POWER BUTTON TO PUT DEVICE IN SLEEP MODE AND TURNS DISPLAY OFF.
    3. PRESS POWER BUTTON TO BRING BACK DISPLAY.
    4. Google Voice is now stuck and cannot be dismissed.
    Attached Thumbnails The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me-new-voice-text-window-black.jpg   The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me-new-keyboard-after-uninstalling-updates.jpg   The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me-google-voice-text-color-change.jpg  
    10-05-2015 11:16 PM
    I completely disabled this function by uninstalling it as none of the other suggestions worked permanently - on Galaxy S5 go to Settings; scroll all the way down to "Application Manager", find the Google app, and uninstall (you can also disable, however I did this once and somehow the problem came back)
    10-06-2015 06:58 AM
    If you do not go to PlayStore after you uninstall updates and select to "not auto update" it will always come back. I had to reboot my phone after that to get my mic back on my keyboard. Knock on wood cause mine seems to be back to normal!
    BTW when I went into the apps manager and uninstalled and the whole routine. When I went back into app manager after restarting my phone the app wasn't listed any more. So I feel certain I am bug free
    10-06-2015 09:59 AM
    Having the same problem of Galaxy 5. Only started after recent "update". Now it's constant. Makes dictating uncertain since afterwards, often have to reboot the phone.
    10-06-2015 11:56 AM
    I have a galaxy s5. Been having this problem for 1 week.

I can temporarily get rid of it, as others have stated, by turning off messages & restarting device.

I went to sprint store for a different issue.
    mentioned this.
    they said to reset phone, and did it.
    problem was back in 10 minutes.
    then they said to wait for an update to fix the bug.
    and not to use the speech to text in the meanwhile.
    thanks, Sprint.
    10-06-2015 12:59 PM
    So far, this has worked for me.
    fingers crossed.
    wish I'd waited a day before going to Sprint store.
    Could have saved 4 hours, plus the time to re-personalize my phone.

Thanks, Okiebirdnerd!
    okiebirdnerd likes this.
    10-06-2015 01:08 PM
    Just chiming in that I've been experiencing the same issue on my ASUS ZenFone 2 since last week. Decided today to Google the issue, glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. Uninstalled all updates to the Google app, unchecked the auto update for now. Tested, voice dictation still working, but I'll see if it lasts more than a day.
    Just wanted to report back that I have not have this issue since I did this.
    10-06-2015 01:27 PM
    I have an S5 and I think I may have discovered a workaround until someone at Android gets the message. When you speak and are done with the speech-to-text function and ready to send the message, make some editing gestures, like highlight a word for editing. Once the keyboard shows up for typing during your fake editing session, push the close icon on the window and it will close. I think that what you're doing is sending the Message App into typing mode and exiting the speech-to-text mode. Once in typing mode, the window closes as programmed.
    10-06-2015 05:01 PM
    This forum's topic is about the "Tap to Speak" issue... you seem to be talking about a different issue altogether ("any time messaging is opened and a message is sent...").
    No, I was referring to the fact that when using the message system and using the Tap to Speak and then send a message, the screen freezes. And, the screen freezes even if "tap to speak" is not being used but texting by hand is being use.

Simply opening the Google Keyboard with Tap to speak in viewing a message gives the same result.
    10-06-2015 06:23 PM
194 ... 5678