Help - my Note II keeps restarting when wifi/data connected

A

AC Question

As of this morning my Note II suddenly started rebooting constantly while the wifi was connected or 4G connected. The only thing that stops the reboot cycle is to turn off wifi and data, and then it's fine (although obviously has no connection other than network).

I've tried taking the battery out for a few minutes, starting in safe mode (still has the issue), clearing the cache partition in the recovery menu, nothing has worked so far. It lasts about 20 seconds max with data/wifi connected before it reboots again. Short of a factory reset, I don't know what else to try!

This is a GT-N7105 running android 4.4.2

Ky311

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with my Samsung S4 mini. Mine started rebooting itself constantly yesterday afternoon. I tried safe mode, clearing the date cache, pulling the battery (I don't believe the battery is swollen or loose), checked the power button, didn't try starting without the SIM and also I'm a little old school when it comes to phones but I don't believe I have a SD card... There appears to be a bunch of apps trying to update (related?) but my phone only stays on for 20 seconds so I have no idea what to try next. Really just don't want to lose all of my pictures. Thanks for any further advice. I've scoured these forums and haven't found a resolution for my constantly rebooting phone yet!

Ky311

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
As the first poster mentioned above, the reboot happens after connecting to wifi or data so I was finally able to turn off both of those before it restarted and I'm at least able to get on my phone to text and transfer items to a pc. So now the problem is why is it not able to connect to wifi when other devices in household are fine. Firmware issue?

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I do usually use an SD card but the problem still happens when I reboot without the SD card as well?

I can't pin down what might have triggered it - I've been deleting lots of things back to the cloud over the past couple of days as the storage was getting pretty full (the SD card is 64g and that's nearly full as well) but it wasn't running out of storage when it happened, and had apps deleted rather than anything recently installed. The wifi at home has just had some issues fixed (a wire was cut the other day that's just been replaced) but the fact it's also 4G data involved makes me hesitant to think it's that? Network is fine otherwise.

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
There do seem to be a surprising number of people posting this exact issue in the last day or so, across different networks and phones (and different countries, seeing as I'm in the UK and most of them seem US based), so it seems likely there's some connection. Which I'm assuming would probably be an app in common that's playing up when it's online?

Nobody seems to have a clear fix for it yet, so we'll see. It looks like a factory reset is the only thing to try, but will have to wait until I have access to my home laptop to back up without a network connection...

Grocafe

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
My droid mini started doing the same thing just today was fine before it works in airplane mode but as soon as it connects to wifi it freaks out I do not play games on my phone so have not downloaded any apps

Syl94200

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Same issue since 24h. But I managed to stay connected with both Wifi and 3G : I set up the "Blocking mode" on, and blocked only applications notifications. Since that moment I can stay connected and browse without reboots ...
I guess some application update is the problem but not sure how to determine it .... logs/history of updates ?

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, if it's any help, mine seems to be fixed now without resorting to a factory reset - I deleted a lot of apps offline, activated the Lookout antivirus/security app that was disabled previously and let it update and scan in between reboots, tried it in Safe Mode again and it suddenly stopped rebooting (this didn't work the first time I used Safe Mode however).

I left in in Safe Mode for an hour online with no problems and now just switched back to normal mode and it seems to be working fine on 4G so far. Assuming it was one of the apps I deleted...?

sbadge

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Removed a bunch of apps. But it seems like the Amazon store app is the culprit. I'm now trying to reinstall 1 by 1 except one that to see if that is it. But I'm on 4g and/or wifi with no issue. Can anyone confirm?

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
So it sounds like uninstalling/disabling the Amazon store app might be the fix? It sounds plausible (I culled all my amazon apps except music and it seemed to do the trick, will try reinstalling them except the Store app hopefully).

Definitely worth a try if anyone has this issue and has this app installed?

James Welsh2

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I replied earlier to this issue. Having read some advice from other sources I decided to start uninstalling apps from my note 2. Nothing seemed to make any difference until I removed spotify. This has done the trick. I am back on line with my note 2.
Result

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if the issue has arisen now they've switched the Store app to be the Amazon Underground app (which I still need to use to reinstall all my other Amazon apps, and then there's the whole part where they're not available via the Play store either. Not a big fan of Amazon today if this turns out to be the problem). Right now I have Amazon Underground installed and it's glitchy and slow but the phone's still running and out of the reboot cycle.

sbadge

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
So I have reinstalled every apps except the Amazon app suite, Amazon Appstore and Amazon Shopping (actually all turned off). Phone is now fine on Wifi or 4G. Reinstalled from Google Play store the Amazon Shopping version 5.9.0.100 (orange/blue/white icon). No issue. Previously I was running the Amazon Shopping (orange icon) from the Amazon Appstore.

jenncatt4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I have actually had to reinstall the orange/black icon version of the Amazon shopping app (which is called Amazon Underground now? because there was no way of getting my Amazon video app back without it) and everything seems ok for the moment... at least I can delete that as a starting point if it happens again. I had an obsolete version of the blue/white icon one still there for some reason. I'm not that bothered about having the shopping app but the video/kindle/music apps would be a problem to lose.

mrducky4

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I have same problem with Galaxy Tab 4 running android 4.4.2. Starting yesterday (Sep 21 2015) it will restart about 10 seconds after connecting to wifi. If I disable wifi, or turn off my home wifi access point, it does not reboot. Rebooting to recovery mode and clearing the cache did not help. Running in safe mode did not help, it still restarts as soon as wifi connects, even in safe mode. I tried another home wifi access point, different manufacturer, but it didn't help.

Some other people said it looked like Amazon store app or Spotify caused the problem. I have never had either of those apps installed.
I have not tried a complete factory restore yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12