I just recently updated to Android 5.1.1 and I was just wondering how to use the new chat settings in the messaging settings that allow senders to be notified when i am typing and when i read their messages? Also how do you know you are actually 'chatting' with someone? Is it different from a normal text message?
    09-23-2015 05:29 AM
    Hi and welcome to Android Central.

Hangouts can no also send SMS and it will combine the two for the same user. Most of the time though hangouts will just use the internet to send the message, rather than send a SMS. If the message is sent this way over the internet, the the program shows when you are typing and if you have read the message.

It is like facebook messages.
    iamjoli likes this.
    09-23-2015 05:39 AM
    09-23-2015 05:30 PM
    teejai80 okay, so for clarification, anytime i send a message when connected to Internet or mobile data the read receipt and typing information can be seen by the recipient if they are connected to an internet source as well, regardless of what type of phone they have or does it only work for Samsung galaxy users?
    Hi and welcome to Android Central.

Hangouts can no also send SMS and it will combine the two for the same user. Most of the time though hangouts will just use the internet to send the message, rather than send a SMS. If the message is sent this way over the internet, the the program shows when you are typing and if you have read the message.

It is like facebook messages.
    09-23-2015 07:22 PM
    teejai80 okay, so for clarification, anytime i send a message when connected to Internet or mobile data the read receipt and typing information can be seen by the recipient if they are connected to an internet source as well, regardless of what type of phone they have or does it only work for Samsung galaxy users?
    09-23-2015 07:23 PM
    Yeah that's right, if you are using the non sms version (over the internet) they can see it.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    09-25-2015 12:03 AM
    So if I'm just having a regular text message conversation the other person will not be able to see if I have read the message or writing back?
    10-01-2015 04:23 AM