Long story short: My in-laws gave me their old Galaxy S's, and I've factory reset one of the phones but now I can not do the following:

-Add my Google account. The phone had the Google Play app before I did the factory reset, and now that I've factory reset it, it's back to the Market app. I try to add my Google account (Gmail address & PW) and am told it's not a valid account (it is).

-Update the firmware (currently running 2.3.4). There's no option to update the software under settings.

I know this is an old, old phone, but I it still works just fine as my in-laws were using it as late as this year. Just need some help with these issues if anyone knows of a fix. Thanks!
    09-23-2015 10:03 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You already added your Google account when you went through the Setup Wizard after the factory reset, right? I assume you're saying you just can't get into the Android Market with your account.

The Market is supposed to update to the Play Store on its own, but if it doesn't, you could try manually installing it. Android Police is a reliable site: [Update: APK Download] Google Play Store v5.8 Rolling Out With Hamburger-Arrow Morphing Animation
    09-23-2015 11:59 AM