Google's voice to text box will not go away.

mikeinstlouis

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I use the Google voice to text feature all the time, I dictate my text messages, pretty much everything. Now, it seems to work fine for a little bit then all of a sudden that tap to pause box with the little microphone will not go away, I know there's a little X in the upper right corner to get rid of it if you want to, but I can tap on that for hours and it will never go away. I always have to end up rebooting my phone. Has anyone else ever had this problem with the little voice to dictation,,, microphone thingy and Google? It's getting very annoying. Thank you for your help!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 25975.jpg
    25975.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 74

Fathertedisdead

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I have not found a permanent fix, but came across a better temporary solution than rebooting. I have a Samsung S5 and ever since the latest system update I have been having the same problem as described in this forum. When I use the Voice to text function in text messages the box almost always freezes. What I did is when the box is stuck I open the "Google Voice Search" app which also prompts me to speak, I then hit the double boxes in bottom left and close the "Google Voice Search" app and the stuck box closes. I prefer to do this then always rebooting.

bhobbster62

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Scrowes solution worked for me, on a Samsung S5 with Android 5.0. What a relief!!!

"Found a solution at least for Samsung, go to settings>application manager>all>google app>uninstall updates. after that you have to go to playstore >settings > turn off auto updates."

Bobnla

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Two things, thanks to uhaneikaao (post #19) and cccthethird (post #11) I now know that yeah, it happens when you have the speech window open and hit the power button to make it sleep. Screen will not go away after that. But #19 uhaneikaao post saying that going to home screen, doing voice search (I moved my button to the top of the screen before testing), then pressing the appswitcher button in lower left, (voice search is first screen) then swiping left to get rid of voice search causes the speech to text window to close and I get my phone back without rebooting.

Good luck.
I hope this helps.
And it may be a while for a fix as this is not causing an error to send to Google
Hopefully they see this thread.

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been having this problem for over 2 weeks now I have called them 7 times taking it to the AT&T store my phone is galaxy s5 they re flashed it got home doing the same thing talks text stays on half my screen have to reboot it to see or do anything got home called them again they sent me a brand new phone for throne this year different problems every time and that afternoon the same problem again they tell me its an Android problem she called me back again today to see if it was still doing it and yes it is they are supposedly making notes of all of our problems so they can figure out what is going on it is very aggravating

Jan Hulswit

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
SETTINGS
APPLICATION MANAGER
GOOGLE APP
UNINSTALL UPDATES

Now when you go back to your messages, the option for using a MIC is still
there. It looks different, but it works fine- PROBLEM GOES AWAY UNTIL GOOGLE FIXES IT!

Jan Hulswit

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
SETTINGS
APPLICATION MANAGER
GOOGLE APP
UNINSTALL UPDATES

Now when you go back to your messages, the option for using a MIC is still
there. It looks different, but it works fine- PROBLEM GOES AWAY UNTIL GOOGLE FIXES IT!

brad2k

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happens to me on the Moto X v2.

By the way, there's a thread open in the Google forums. People should probably post there so Google actually sees the issue; go to the Google Search forum and search for the post "Google Now Tap to Speak frozen" (sorry, I can't post links here) :(

Brews_Note4

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
TEMPORARY SOLUTION!!! I hope there is a permanent solution soon though, because all other suggestions have failed for me. I have a T-Mobile Samsung Note 4 and Google Voice freezes several times a day. The only temporary solution that I have found is to clear the recently used apps-one by one, or maybe all of them simultaneously. This immediately removed the frozen Google Voice box. I hope Google, Samsung or whoever developed these expensive devices will acknowledge and fix this very annoying problem. Before this Note 4, I had a free HTC Desire 510 and it never happened once. I really like this Note 4 and I hope they fix the bugs with one of their updates.

I hope this will help a lot of annoyed Google Voice users.

It's the button to the left of the home screen button.

Now I hope someone finds a way to fix the camera from starting out unfocused. I have to wait for it to auto-focus or shake it a few times. And no, It doesn't have the plastic film over the lens, tried factory data reset and I have replaced it twice with "new" phones. This has happened from day one.

Last edited:

Brews_Note4

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I cleared the recently used apps and it removed the Google Voice screen immediately. I have the Note 4 though, so I wouldn't know if this temporary solution would help with any other type of phone.

Last edited:

DavidJay511

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Reproduced the issue several times and found that the the issue was caused by entering text into a text field via the speech to text feature, then without closing that speech to text box or completing the action I hit the button on the side to turn off the screen. Found that SOMETIMES closing all the apps clears the box, but it only seems to work if there are several apps open, not just one.

This is for the Galaxy S5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech