I have run into two security "features" that I need help getting control on. First is the Device Protection on my Note5, the second is a 72 hour password reset "Feature". This Device Protection feature has destroyed countless pictures on my phone and all my other data and now that I have reset my google password "because I am not allowed to reuse a past one". I am totally stuck with a multi-hundred dollar paper weight for 3 days.

It almost seems funny but it is really just maddening. When did security become something so non-personal? I don't mind the "option" or "suggestion" to turn on this "Device Protection" but having it required!!! That is just wrong.

Some may say "Just remember your password and you won't have this issue"... Well, apparently my leg rubbing on the screen while the device is in my pocket did not know the password.... Unlike the iPhone that has a timer between attempts Android allows your leg to burn through the retries unmolested, and locks you out.

Please, someone share how to take control of our phones, options and unruly legs.
    09-24-2015 09:54 PM
    I'm not understanding how resetting your password messes with data tied to your account. The account name and password are two different things. The data should be tied to the account name and the password is only to gain access to that account. You shouldn't lose anything if you change your password. It's like if you changed your bank password, you wouldn't lose the money in your account. Am I missing something here? Is Google that messed up? Luckily, I never store data on the cloud!!!
    09-24-2015 10:14 PM
    Nahoku, the are two passwords at play here. First, the one that is used to lock my phone. This is the one that my phone tried repeatedly and failed. The android safety feature that I would like to disable is associated with this password. I believe it is called "Device Protection".
    The second password is my google mail account that is associated with my phone. Apparently, changing the password on that account forces a 3 day wait timer on associating any new device to the account.

If anyone has ideas on taking back control from this forced security I would be happy to hear it.
    09-24-2015 11:44 PM