App for texting on phone with no plan over wifi?

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a S2 that I want to give my young son to communicate with his cousins. I don't want to buy a plan for the phone. I just want him to be able to use it over wifi with no data, sms or phone plan. Is there an app that would allow him to text with his cousins over wifi to their phone that have service plans?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the cousins usually have mobile data on, then Hangouts is probably a good option. Hangouts can use wi-fi only, and is nice way to instant message someone.

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I just tried hangouts, but it can't send sms text messages or make calls from a phone without a sims chip or calling plan. It only works with other people that are using the hangouts app. I was looking for an app that could send text and make calls that does not require the other person to use the same app.

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Okay. I got sms text messaging to work, but I had to sign up for a google voice account with another number and then set hangouts as my sms handler. But I still can't make calls from the phone. When I try to make calls, it says "Emergency calls only". Any ideas on how I can fix this? I mean I know I could install skype to make calls, but I am thinking that if skype can make calls over wifi, then hangouts should be able to do it to.

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, after hours working. I got it all done. Hangouts can do it, but you need a google voice account for it to work. To set up a google voice account you need a real number to activate it, but once you do that, you can use just the new goggle voice number. Then you have to install the google voice app on your phone and then set hangouts as the default sms handler.

To make calls you need to install the hangouts dialer app. This will allow you to make calls out, bit not receive calls via hangouts. I still have not figured out how to receive calls via hangouts. By default, google voice is set to forward all calls to the real number you used to create the google voice number, but you can turn this off by going into setting in your GV account.

It's actually quite a jicky system, with settings all over the freaking place that need to be tweaked in 5 different places (Hangouts.com, Google voice website, gmail, hangouts app and GV app). But if you hold your tongue just right and get it all right, you can have free texting and calling (outbound) to US numbers.

Nobody seems to know how to make the app receive incoming calls, but hey, I got 75% of what I was after and that's better then nothing.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Go to this website and enter your phone number for Google to call you back. They will call you in just a couple of minutes and walk you through making sure you can receive calls.

Just use this link, even though it is for Wallet, it is the easiest place to find the request call back form. Just out Hangouts help in the section for what the call is about.

https://support.google.com/wallet/contactflow?hl=en&vid=1-635788374266694915-3373032677

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1