Deleted photos keep reappearing upon restart

A

AC Question

I've looked all over for answers to this problem, both on this site and on google, but none of the answers have helped. Every time I delete certain photos, it just reappears either upon restart, or by itself a few days/weeks later. It has long past the point of frustration.

My google photos backup has been turned off since I got my phone. The photos backup has been turned off on all my other devices as well.

I've deleted photos on both the Google Photos app and the Gallery App. I've even plugged the phone using the USB wire, went into the DCIM folder, and deleted the files, only to reappear later on. I've downloaded a file explorer app on the phone itself and deleted the files, but again, it reappears.

Please help. I already hated these photos when I first deleted them. Now it's just boundless fury when I see them reappear.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are these photos you took with the camera app, or are they images that you had never seen before?

If they were in your Google Photos in the cloud, did you try going to your Google Photos website on your computer browser and deleting the photo there?

jimmanels

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
OP here.

The photos were taken with the camera app. I've already gone to the Google Photos website on my computer and deleted the photos that were there before I turned off the photos backup a year ago. Those photos have been deleted. The newer ones taken after I turned off backup on all my devices don't show up on the website on my computer, but still manage to reappear after deletion.

Edit: Okay, so I've uninstalled the Google Photos app completely and deleted the photos from Gallery. It seems to be sticking this time around, but I've thought that before only to have the photos reappear a week later. We'll see...

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The other thing you could have tried (while the Google Photos app was still installed) was to go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]​ and unchecked Google Photos.