I've been having wake lock issues for quite a while. I finally just turned on safemode to see if there is a problem with the phone or with one of the apps i've downloaded, but the problem even persists when in safemode.

Model #: SM-G920V
    Android Version: 5.1.1
    Baseband version: G920VVRU4BOG7
    Kernel Version: 3.10.61
    Build number: LMY47X.G920V_5.1.1_0034

Can anyone help this problem? I know I could just root my phone and download wakelock detector, but I couldn't find a method to root for the build I have. Do you need more info? Thanks in advance!
    10-03-2015 04:05 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What are you using right now to detect the wakelock? Are you sure it's not just a system app that's causing it?
    10-03-2015 08:57 PM
    Well like I said I don't have any software to detect wakelock since I do not have my phone rooted currently. If i'm not mistaken (I probably am), when I put it in safemode, doesn't it disable all 3rd party app? Thereby making it a problem with the phone itself? Or when you say system app you mean one of the pre-installed apps or something else on the phone which can be disabled/uninstalled?
    10-04-2015 07:45 PM
    How do you know that you have a wakelock problem if you don't have an app to detect wakelocks? Are you referring to the Awake bar on the Battery Graph?

You're correct, Safe Mode disables all 3rd party apps. So if the phone is staying awake inappropriately, it may be due to some system process. I think preinstalled bloat doesn't get turned off in Safe Mode, but I've never tested that.
    10-05-2015 12:04 AM
    I mean i'm pretty sure its a wake lock issue since the phone will wake randomly as if I have a notification then go back to sleep. And will do this every 3-5seconds endlessly. My battery life without using the phone is 4-5hours.
    10-05-2015 06:45 AM
    Ok, I see what you mean. Does this happen in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21007. This can help to narrow down the culprit to a 3rd party app or a system/preinstalled app.
    10-05-2015 06:14 PM
    It seems the issue has resolved itself. After updating 4 apps, the wakelocking stopped from randomly happening. However, this has happened in the past, where it will seem to be fixed, but will begin at a later time. I doubt (hope) this will not be the case, but if it is, ill post again. Thanks again for all your help.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-06-2015 06:57 AM
    So yet again, my phone has began to wakelock. After it was fixed, I re-enabled instagram and re-installed facebooks messaging app. After it began again, I disabled instagram and uninstalled the messaging app again. I even tried putting it in safemode, and this did not solve anything (The problem was yet again persistent in safemode). The thing that is confusing me is that it is still happening in safemode, so the apps I downloaded shouldn't be the reason this problem is happening. How could I find or fix this problem?
    10-08-2015 08:48 AM
    Do you have a case on the phone with a smartcover? Or are there any magnets nearby? Sometimes, if there is a magnet in close proximity, then gets taken away, the phone's smartcover sensor might trigger, thinking that you're opening up a smartcover, which turns the screen on.
    10-08-2015 06:27 PM
    My case is an otterbox. I would post a picture, but due to the restrictions on the forums I am unable to. I believe it is only made of plastic and rubber.
    10-08-2015 07:06 PM
    Nothing on your hands or fingers, like a piece of jewelry?

I wonder if there's something wrong with the Power button, where it's inappropriately registering a short press every now and then. You could try KeyEvent Display to see if inappropriate Power button presses are logging, although I think it requires root. From reading the description, I'm also not sure if it detects Power button presses either, so it might end up being unhelpful.
    TEEBQNE likes this.
    10-08-2015 09:20 PM
    It's fine. I'll just wait until I am able to root my phone and can install software to find what is causing it. The only thing I wear on my wrist is one of the awareness bands. Thanks for your help though.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-09-2015 06:48 AM
    I have the same exact problem on my Galaxy S6 on Verizon. I can't figure it out. I thought it was an issue with Google Play Services, but even after updating it I still have the problem. If anything, it's gotten worse.
    11-13-2015 08:13 AM