I bought a Moto X Pure from Best Buy today, and when I restarted the phone I got a message stating "Warning Bootloader Unlocked" - your device's Bootloader had been unlocked allowing critical software components to be altered in a manner that may cause damage, etc etc. Saying warranty is VOID and referring me to a Moto website regarding it.

I have never unlocked a Bootloader or rooted a phone. Is there anything I should check to make sure the previous owner didn't ruin the phone? Should I just return the phone to Best Buy? They did give me a $50 discount due to open box.

Any input or advice is appreciated
    Thanks!
    10-04-2015 12:37 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's the return policy for open box items? If it's final sale, then you're probably out of luck--that's part of the reason they give you a discount. If you really don't want the phone, you could probably sell it on eBay or Swappa for a decent amount.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2015 01:17 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's the return policy for open box items? If it's final sale, then you're probably out of luck--that's part of the reason they give you a discount. If you really don't want the phone, you could probably sell it on eBay or Swappa for a decent amount.
    From what I can see on the receipt even with the discount it has the normal returns period etc. I guess my main question is there anything in particular I should check the phone for due to the Bootloader being Unlocked to make sure the previous person didn't mess anything up?
    10-04-2015 11:58 AM
    If you're going to return it, I think that would be irrelevant, because you can tell them that this is how they sold the item to you. It may be difficult to know for sure what the previous owner did. They may have rooted the phone, installed a custom ROM, then restored the stock ROM and unrooted it again. Or they could have deleted some preinstalled app or system app that would be difficult to track down, but could ultimately cause problems.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2015 01:00 PM
    If you're going to return it, I think that would be irrelevant, because you can tell them that this is how they sold the item to you. It may be difficult to know for sure what the previous owner did. They may have rooted the phone, installed a custom ROM, then restored the stock ROM and unrooted it again. Or they could have deleted some preinstalled app or system app that would be difficult to track down, but could ultimately cause problems.
    Yeah I understand, pretty much impossible to tell. I only asked because I'm thinking of keeping it. I did get it for only $350.

Thanks for all your input!
    Much appreciated
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-04-2015 01:30 PM
    Last question I promise lol. With an unlocked Bootloader, Verizon wouldn't stop me from activating or using the phone on network would they? Not sure if that's a thing. (Going into Verizon soon to get a nano sim soon)
    10-04-2015 01:59 PM
    I don't think that would be an issue, but I've never dealt with that myself.
    10-04-2015 02:10 PM