LinkedIn duplicating contacts multiple times in Contacts app

A

AC Question

I've recently gotten an LG G4, and I've seen that it syncs all my contacts from all my different social media accounts. This is fine, and I don't mind them on there, but it seems that LinkedIn syncs multiple times.

It only seems to be LinkedIn that does this. I've checked my Sync & Accounts and I'm only logged in to LinkedIn once, so I'm not sure why this is happening. I know I can hide and delete contacts, only show with numbers, only show certain accounts etc, but I like having everything there.

I can't post links (I've just found out, after typing a much longer post that got deleted when I pressed "Back" after it told me...), but one contact is listed 9 times in my contacts - all LinkedIn duplicates - and I can't even merge the details anymore because it's full! When I go to their account, it has Skype/Facebook/Google icons, then multiple LinkedIn - all with the same name/position/company.

Is there a way to stop this? Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks

seanker

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
(I was the original poster)

I'm glad I'm not the only one this is affecting, as I did a Google search and could find nothing about it. I unlinked my LinkedIn account, which removed everything, and linked it again. I thought that fixed it at first, but I checked a day or 2 later and the duplicates are slowly creeping up. I'm not sure if it's adding everyone all over again whenever it syncs (daily?)
I've unlinked it again as I'd rather have none of my LinkedIn contacts than 20 of each person, but it's very annoying.

Hello,
This issue confuse me very much. I ever disabled synchronization from LinkedIn AP settings (switch "Sync LinkedIn with your phone" as OFF), then all LinkedIn contacts were gone. And I enabled synchronization from LinkedIn AP settings again, then duplicate LinkedIn contacts again. But today, I cannot reproduce this issue after I disable and enable synchronization. I wonder if this stupid issue is fixed or not. May I know if you still have duplicate LinkedIn contacts now?

Thanks & regards,
Sean.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I haven't removed and reinstalled the LinkedIn app, but that is next. For now, though, I removed all the Contact Storage and I'm re-syncing my Google Contacts (I presume that this will take a while). That is the right way to 'start fresh' right?

billypakr

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I simply deleted the LinkedIn app, restarted my phone and opened my contacts. It took several minutes to refresh the contact list but once done, the duplicates were all gone and applications that use the contacts including messaging, email and telephone all access and index my contacts quickly and correctly. The phone no longer runs hot or discharges battery so quickly either. Will not reinstall the application until I'm certain there is a fix.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Saw on another forum that it seems to happen with the Waze app as well--which I started noticing last week right after I installed it. Then the LinkedIn contact links went crazy. It may not be anything with the apps so much as how Android allows 3rd parties to interface to them. More research needed...

Mark Greenbaum

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I had a problem with all my contacts due to multiple entries syncing it with Outlook 2013 via Kies. Then I saw the Linked In problem.

I uninstalled the Linked In app (wasn't really using it anyway) and all the Linked In contacts went away.

I'm still not seeing Facebook contacts, but that might be another trouble.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Facebook issue is more of a policy/design decision, as I understand it (but I could be off base here). They [Facebook] don't allow any outside source to sync with your Facebook contacts and I think it just applies to Google/Android--though again, I'm probably off a bit here. But I don't think it's a glitch, but instead a definitive decision.

Jyotirmay Samanta

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Having the same issue. 100's duplicate contact for each existing contact. Just uninstalled LinkedIn, lets see if it helps. Right now its saying I have no conyacts. Hopefully, it will sync back with my Google contacts soon.

Update: yes after uninstalling LinkedIn, my contacts are back to normal, after almost 15 mins of re-syncing. Wonder, how a company like LinkedIn introduce such stupid bugs. LinkedIn QA team, time to roll up your sleeves.

Last edited:

NotSven

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
:mad:
Same problem as everybody else. Just thought that I would raise the question again. There must be someone reading posts like this with influence on bugs and patches This is a major bug.

Deleted some 100 LinkedIn links in one persons entry - manually, are we havin' fun yet? :-X

Jyotirmay Samanta

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Same problem as everybody else. Just thought that I would raise the question again. There must be someone reading posts like this with influence on bugs and patches This is a major bug.

Deleted some 100 LinkedIn links in one persons entry - manually, are we havin' fun yet? :-X

Don't delete the contacts manually, instead just uncheck the contact sysnc option in Linkedin App. This cleared all duplicate entry for me in 30 mins.

Jyotirmay Samanta

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

I filed a case with Linkedin for this Case ID : 17837844
Linkedin said their engineering time is working on the issue.

rodger clarke

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
You don't have to delete the LinkedIn app to get rid of the duplicate contacts. Just go to Settings within the app and turn off the sync functions. I had about 50 copies of each contact and they disappeared within a few minutes of turning off this functionality.

giaxou

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on an LG L90 Android 5.0.2.: multiple duplicates of the same contact imported from LinkedIn account & Viber account on my phone's contact list. The list keeps growing, from ~1700 real contacts to 7000 contacts and growing.
It is not only a LinkedIn problem - it is also a Viber problem.
I switched off sync in LinkedIn and uninstalled, then re-installed the LinkedIn App. Problem is resolved with LinkedIn, but without synching going forward.
I switched off sync in Viber and unistalled, then re-installed the Viber App. Problem is resolved with Viber but without synching going forward.

cduarte144

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I have something a little bit different with my duplicated contacts. I also have a lot of my contacts duplicated, but the duplicated entry is a blank entry with just the name. Also those duplicated entries cannot be deleted. When I try to delete it, show an error message that "I can't delete contacts from read-only account..." Obviously the original contact is not a read-only contact.

Already un-sync LinkedIn and Waze from contacts, reboot and nothing, duplicated contacts still there.

I have an Nexus 5 running Marshmallow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21