My Samsung S5 took a swim this weekend. It's been in rice for over 24 hours. I tried to turn it on but no luck. My contacts were synced to my gmail account, but when I login to gmail, they aren't there. Is there any way to retrieve them at this point?
    10-05-2015 02:22 PM
    Check the Type on each contact. Only Google contacts sync, Phone, Device and SIM contacts don't.

If yours are the ones that don't sync, export your contacts to a file, then import that file to your Google account (do all that in the Contacts app). Now sync.

Go to Google Contacts. If there are duplicates, click More and you can merge them. Then sync again to get the new list back on the phone.

In the future, when adding a new contact, make sure you set the Type to Google.
    10-05-2015 04:44 PM
    If they really were synced to Google, they would be there. If you want to be sure they weren't somehow deleted, go here and you can put them back to any point they were at in the last 30 days:

https://support.Google.com/mail/answer/1069522?hi=en

If the contacts aren't there either, then you must not have been saving them to Google like you thought. If you made no other backup, then your only hope is to get the S5 running again, because that's the only place the contacts exist. If the rice trick fails, the phone and contacts might be worth investing in a professional disassemble and dry-out.

Whatever you do, when you try turning on the phone again if it fails to start or fouls up at all, don't keep trying to turn it on or correct problems. If it ain't right, turn it off and leave it off! The more you mess with it, the more likely the water damage could be permanent.
    10-05-2015 05:17 PM