Music on SD card won't play on Huawei Ascend Mate 2

A

AC Question

Android Version 4.3

I've copied about 800 songs from my PC Media Player (playlist) to my 32Gig SD card. Then mounted the SD card to phone.

From the phone I can see all the files on the SD card.

My internal Music storage has about 80 songs. I can play those fine. I should note that I have about 80 songs on internal. These play fine. I DO see duplicates of some of the songs and these duplicates' properties show these are in SD0 (internal) and SD1 (external). Both the songs play fine using the Music Player.

We are stumped as to why the duplicates play fine but when I go to the file manager and try to play songs on SD card, I am given option to play with Google Play Music or Music. I am given messages that the files are not playable.

It seems that the files on the SD card are not associating with the Music Players - have tried a couple of Music apps plus Google Play and the Music Player on the phone.

Why are the duplicated songs playable (from both SD0 and SD1)? And, yet all the other songs on the SD card are not playable.

Hope someone can shed some light here!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are these mp3 files, or another format? What directory on the SD card are they saved to? Use a file manager app to make sure there isn't a file called ".nomedia" in that directory as well, because that would prevent the system from adding those songs to the music app's database.

PMLankenau

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Files are mostly .wma format as created in Media Player from ripped CDs. When we copied to SD card, the directory. "Music" was automatically created with all the copied files under this directory.

What is puzzling is that dupes of songs on internal storage and external storage show as both playable. But only those that are dupes.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I don't think WMA files are playable by Google Play Music, and possibly not by the stock Music app. Have you ever been able to play WMA using that Music app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci