How to remove Lenovo Adware?

A

AC Question

I've been having this very annoying and persistent ad from IRULU. It's a really big banner that pops up while I'm playing or browsing. I can't find any solution on google or any app that can detect it. My gf who bought the same phone is also experiencing this and I suspect Lenovo pre-installed this security-killing adware. I just learned that they have the same issue on their laptop called superfish.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's pretty annoying. See if it appears in Safe Mode as well, which disables all 3rd party apps (but shouldn't disable a preinstalled piece of adware from the manufacturer). On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

Sam DelaTorre

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the immediate reply. I opened on safe mode but id didn't popped up. The problem is, I remember that ad seems to open only on third party apps. Smart move if it's indeed pre-installed. Upon restarting, the order of my apps was messed up and my widgets are gone. Adware seems to went out along with it too. I'll ask again if it persists. Many thanks B. Diddy!

Sam DelaTorre

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
It's back and still annoying as ever. I did some research and apparently, Lenovo seems to have rigged their devices with hidden malware. I'm looking to root my device to remove this and tried to look on your guide "Rooting your Android" but my access is denied. :(

Sam DelaTorre

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
My phone is a Lenovo K3 Note (K50-t5). I hope I get this right so I can remove not only this IRULU ad but also the other ads popping up on my notifications bar and those auto install apps that seems to be enabled by the pre-installed apps. Many thanks for the advice.