Hi!
    I have a beloved HTC Merge slider that is very old and has finally quit on me. I have no idea how I'm going to type on a phone ever again. US Cellular doesn't seem to care that at least one customer wants a keyboard...sigh.
    I bought a new LG G3 and a new Moto X. I don't like the LG. It's way too big and flimsy looking. I should receive the Moto tomorrow and whichever one I choose, my son will get the other.
    Now for the issue. I absolutely despise Google Chrome. DESPISE. On my husbands Moto, I found out how cranky things get when you disable Chrome, but I did get FireFox for him and things are working okay, but it's constantly updating chromecrap. Crap he doesn't nor will ever use.
    Is there any way to get rid of Chrome and all of it's BS? Why does all that stuff come on new phones? I have no idea what 90% of it is!!! The only google thing I use and will ever use is app store.
    I only do a few things on my cell phone: take pics and vids, text, call, play music from Rhapsody, check the weather, Facebook, and very rarely email-yahoo ONLY. I browse online and search with Bing. I do use a google email to purchase books for the Kindle app, but that's it.
    I was asking my 15yr old son (he says I'm crazy and should just "go with it mom!") if he knew of ANY WAY to get rid of Chrome and all of it's totally useless, battery eating, space stealing crap.
    He said he could if he was "rooted". I noticed that word reading through here, but the post was 3 years old. What is rooted, how do you do it, and why does it seem to be "hush hush"? I want Chrome Off My Fone.
    Thanks for any and all help!
    Janice
    10-08-2015 10:18 PM
    If you go into settings > apps and select chrome, there is probably a "disable" button.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-2015 10:57 PM
    First, do as Assassin says.
    Second, you don't need root.

Rooting is "gaining access to the system". That means it is opening a gate for a possibility of ruining your phone for good. That's why it's better to not root if you don't know it well.

It's not dangerous as I wrote, though, unless you plan to do something after that. Judging from your phone and use style, you don't need root.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-08-2015 11:39 PM