BUG Report: Google map URL links truncated/broken in SMS text

Bob Atkins

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Typical GPS trackers send SMS messages with a URL to Google map with the coordinates of where the device is at.

On my LG Leon device (Lollipop 5.1.1) the URLs are broken. They get truncated after the first comma that separates the latitude of the map coordinates from the longitude and then the zoom option the longitude (&z=16).

This failure appears to go beyond just SMS (Messenger apps) and is a fundamental failure of the Andriod OS because it happens in all text based apps that attempt to interpret URLs and make them clickable.

I find this type of failure to be pretty sad given how old Andriod is. Hopefully someone will be able to address this painfully silly bug in a future release.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. When you got 5.1 on your Leon, did you do a factory reset? Usually, with some major updates, a reset is required to allow the OS tr rebuild the framework.

Also, we are not affiliated with Google or any OEM like Samsung or HTC. We are a forum of Android fans who try to help each other out.

BikerRay

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I get the same broken link in Android 6.0, but not in Android 5.0 on another phone. I have tried several messaging apps with the same result, so it appears to be an OS issue. This has to impact a lot of people who rely on sending map links via SMS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown