Why doesn't OK Google work from any screen?

A

AC Question

OK Google hotword detection used to work from any screen, but after clearing data on the Google app and Google Play Services, it doesn't work anymore, even though I have OK Google set to activate from any screen.

I have a BLU Vivo Selfie running Android Lollipop 5.0.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any reason why you cleared data from Google Play Services? Were things malfunctioning beforehand? It's generally a good idea to leave Play Services alone, since clearing the data can cause some weird things to happen.

You might want to consider going to Settings>Accounts​, removing your Google account, then adding it back again.

tanolen

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I'll try that out and see what happens. Will I still have everything I had before after adding my account again? I realize clearing Google Play Services data probably wasn't a good idea. It had something to do with forcing an OTA Android update. Won't be doing that again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As long as all of your Google data has synced successfully, it'll resync to the phone once you add the account back. Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your account] to see when the last time everything synced successfully was.