Wifi turning goes to sleep despite settings to keep it on

A

AC Question

I have noticed this with the new android 6.0 marshmallow update. Wifi turning off despite "keep wifi on during sleep" set to "always" on Nexus 5 phone. When I power on the phone I see it quickly re-connect WiFi. But why isn't it already on? I've also noticed that my apps are not syncing very often when the phone is left in sleep.

Anybody else seeing this behaviour? I'm all for battery savings, but if it's plugged into power & WiFi is available, why is it not just keeping it on??

Settings:
"keep wifi on during sleep" set to "always"
settings-->location-->menu-->scanning -> set to "Wi-Fi scanning"
Battery-->Battery saver--> Off

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Battery, tap Menu>Battery Optimization, choose the apps that you don't want to Doze, and tap Don't Optimize. Does that make a difference?

Tex99

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
By default it optimizes everything but "Google Play Services". I additionally added to the "not optimized" category: "Android System", "Calendar", "Calendar Storage", "Gmail" and "Google Contacts Sync".

This seems to have worked mostly. There is the odd time WiFi is off when plugged in but it is often on and email seems to come through relatively quickly when it is charging.

sierratango

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Any updates on this issue? I've also been facing this problem since 6.0 and haven't found a solution or workaround yet.

This is clearly a bug since it goes against what the system has been set to do so I think this should be reported to the android bug tracker to get it properly fixed.

jjcoolaus

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have FINALLY found a wifi keep alive app that works very well with Marshmallow:
Free: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mariobile.bestwifikeeper&hl=en&token=2QjeVxg7
Pro ($1): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...obile.bestwifikeeper.pro&hl=en&token=uRFEwmAi

They updated it to add marshmallow support and it really does support it in that my wifi stays on, even if the connection is idle, all day at work now. Which is great because my VPN stays connected as well, which is what I really wanted.

I don't like how marshmallow jumps on LTE when wifi is disabled. After using up over 3GB in a week like that, I got into the habit of disabling mobile data when i get to work, and enabling it when i goto lunch and disabling it again when i get back and now I don't have to.

Awesome little app, recommended. Unless battery life is critical for you – but at work my phone is often on charge anyway.

I also like wifi keepalive (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.roy.wifimonitor&hl=en&token=Q4pX4574) but best wifi keeper is a bit better. I found wifi keepalive had lots of errors if connected to a VPN.

speck-1234

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999L from T-mobile.
I rooted it with Kingo ROOT. I tried every app including Wifi Keep Alive, even tried apps that require root, still turns off on sleep.
It seems to still obey the wifi sleep policy even when plugged in.

john2341234

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Anybody found a solution to this? This is ridiculous this bug haven't been fixed yet! I have got HTC One S and Android 4.1.1. and tried everything mentioned above except the apps that suppose to keep wi-fi alive, I''ll try them next.

natezimmer

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Still looking for a solution, its a major PIA. Nexus 6 here. 12/9/16.
My issue is i'm trying to use it for IoT application but the phone keeps dropping from the network cuz the wifi shuts off nomatter what you set it to, no matter what wifi keep alive apps you have. Its something in the underlying OS that simply ignores any and all attempts to keep the wifi active. ;( Only way to fix is to unlock the phone which breaks its usability in many ways.

Rgilkes

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
The following worked for me on my Nexus 5.

Just toggle the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" setting:

* Go to Settings > Wi-Fi
* Tap the ellipsis at top-right to access the Wi-Fi menu and then tap Advanced
* You will notice "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" and it may be set to "Always"
* Tap it and switch to "Never" then back out to ensure that setting takes effect.
* Tap "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" again and set it to "Always"
* Back out again

This solved my problem.