PC recognizes Nexus 5 but then I can't my files on Win7

A

AC Question

It was working fine: I was able to plug my Nexus to my notebook and transfer files from and to my Nexus ok. I changed the MTP option every time I plugged it to my notebook, it was ok... I was happy :)

Suddenly, it all stopped working. Now, everytime I try to see what's inside my mobile on Internet Explorer I get nothing. It's like my mobile is totally empty... though it is not.

What's wrong? Anyone seen this before? Any suggetions?

Thanks! Merci! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you update to Marshmallow recently? On MM, the default is to charge only, when connected via USB. Swipe down, tap the USB connection icon, and tap MTP. Does that make a difference, or is that what you were already doing?

Juliannae_sc

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Yes, I updated Marshmallow recently...
I've done that already - the MTP option. It worked fine and I was transfering files from mobile to notebook and vice versa... Now nothing works. This is strange. :/ Maybe I can use a tool and try to see the files I have on the mobile on my noteboo k?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Connect the phone via USB.
2. Wake the phone and unlock the screen (the computer can't read the contents if the screen is locked).
3. Swipe down the notification panel, tap USB connection, and select MTP.
4. On the computer, open Windows Explorer and click on Nexus 5. If Windows Explorer was open during the connection process, close it, then open it again.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy, I received my new Nexus 6P today and I am trying to connect to my laptop. I am experiencing the same problem. If I plug in the USB cable and then go to the device Icon on the PC taskbar it shows the device Nexus 6P. Then I go to the phones USB for file transfer notification and change the Use USB for to File Transfer MTP. When I do this I get a notification sound on my PC. I then open IE and it does show a drive letter for the device. Any suggestions?

letterfor the device

Ok, just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Connect the phone via USB.
2. Wake the phone and unlock the screen (the computer can't read the contents if the screen is locked).
3. Swipe down the notification panel, tap USB connection, and select MTP.
4. On the computer, open Windows Explorer and click on Nexus 5. If Windows Explorer was open during the connection process, close it, then open it again.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
No it is not there no drive letter. If I do this with my Nexus 5 it shows up as the next drive letter F:. Also if I go into device manager on the PC Nexus 5 shows up as Portable Storage. However, the Nexus 6P does not show up in device manager. I am using the short one foot cable that came with the Nexus 6P.

Edit: OK I got it I do not know why this worked but it did. I went into Developer Option and in the Debugging section right under the option where you enable/disable USB debugging. There is an option for " Revoke USB debugging authorization" doing this "Revoke access to USB debugging from all computers you've previously authorized?". After doing this I reconnected and it showed up in Windows Device Manager and in IE as Nexus 6P. Case solved, thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc