Cannot Change Ringtone to an MP3 File

A

AC Question

Ringtone Change - I posted this on XDA and had 98 views without any suggestions.

Note 4: SM-N910T
Android Version: 5.0.1
Baseband Version: N910TUVU1COG2
Kernel Version: 3.10.40-4739134
Build Number: LRX22C.N910TUV1COG2

For some unknown reason I have lost the capability to change my ringtone to a song (MP3 file) that I have used on my Note 2, Note 3 and this Note 4 for years. I have tried many times by going into:
Settings
Sound and notifications
Ringtones
Media Storage
And see Ringtones in the System- Media-Ringtones File (.ogg files)

I try to ADD and then get: Complete action using: with various apps shown such as:
ES File Explorer, Total Commander, Sound Picker, Pick Audio Track and Dropbox.

I have tried to add the song that I want using ES File Explorer and Total Commander which does play when I try to add the song. However, when I return to Sound and notifications, the original ringtone options are still the same without the song (MP3) I tried to add.

I have tried to ADD using: Sound picker and Pick audio Track and nothing shows up as these are both empty. I don’t know where Sound picker/pick audio track is located to move/copy the MP3 file into one of those locations.

I have not used Dropbox as I do not use Dropbox.

I have even tried to copy and move the song into:
System-Media-Ringtones (file) and that will not allow me to do so. I get the display:
Copy/Move Task failed: /system/media/audio/ringtone/Aquarius1.mp3: open failed: EROFS (Read only file system)

Again I know the MP3 file works as a ringtone because I have used it many times and even use if for Contacts.
What am I doing wrong?
How can I get that ringtone back?
Any help will be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There should be a directory on the main Internal Storage called Ringtones--do you see that? (The full directory name would be /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones--not the system directory.) Copy the mp3 there, then go through the process of adding a ringtone. I'm not sure which of those apps to complete the action is the usual system default--try Sound Picker or Pick Audio Track again.

asctony

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your quick response. I have that ringtone (MP3) in every Media/Ringtones directory on my Note 4. In fact that is where I am trying to copy it from since it will no longer work. I did not post this initially because I cannot get that MP3 Added to the only Directory that will contain the ringtones that I can use. So, I am still looking for an answer. So, any additional suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's odd that the phone is giving you options for which app to choose a ringtone. Try Clearing All App Defaults, then try again. Let us know if you're not sure how to do that.

asctony

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I am sure others may be encountering this problem. I even went to a T-Mobile Store and spoke with a Samsung Tech Rep who could not help me.
Just tried your last suggestion to no avail. Thank again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You did what I was suggesting--clearing all app defaults, in case there was some app that was inadvertently being used to try to select the mp3 files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't say for sure that there's no solution. This is the kind of situation where I wish I could have the phone in hand to try things out. I've just never encountered those options when trying to select a custom ringtone--it usually just goes straight to the list of tones to pick when I tap Settings>Sound & Notifications>Ringtones. There's no additional Media Storage selection as you mention. But then again, I don't use a Samsung phone regularly, so I'm not sure if they do things a little differently in this situation.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey