Ringtone Change - I posted this on XDA and had 98 views without any suggestions.

Note 4: SM-N910T
    Android Version: 5.0.1
    Baseband Version: N910TUVU1COG2
    Kernel Version: 3.10.40-4739134
    Build Number: LRX22C.N910TUV1COG2

For some unknown reason I have lost the capability to change my ringtone to a song (MP3 file) that I have used on my Note 2, Note 3 and this Note 4 for years. I have tried many times by going into:
    Settings
    Sound and notifications
    Ringtones
    Media Storage
    And see Ringtones in the System- Media-Ringtones File (.ogg files)

I try to ADD and then get: Complete action using: with various apps shown such as:
    ES File Explorer, Total Commander, Sound Picker, Pick Audio Track and Dropbox.

I have tried to add the song that I want using ES File Explorer and Total Commander which does play when I try to add the song. However, when I return to Sound and notifications, the original ringtone options are still the same without the song (MP3) I tried to add.

I have tried to ADD using: Sound picker and Pick audio Track and nothing shows up as these are both empty. I don’t know where Sound picker/pick audio track is located to move/copy the MP3 file into one of those locations.

I have not used Dropbox as I do not use Dropbox.

I have even tried to copy and move the song into:
    System-Media-Ringtones (file) and that will not allow me to do so. I get the display:
    Copy/Move Task failed: /system/media/audio/ringtone/Aquarius1.mp3: open failed: EROFS (Read only file system)

Again I know the MP3 file works as a ringtone because I have used it many times and even use if for Contacts.
    What am I doing wrong?
    How can I get that ringtone back?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    10-31-2015 01:43 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! There should be a directory on the main Internal Storage called Ringtones--do you see that? (The full directory name would be /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones--not the system directory.) Copy the mp3 there, then go through the process of adding a ringtone. I'm not sure which of those apps to complete the action is the usual system default--try Sound Picker or Pick Audio Track again.
    10-31-2015 02:52 PM
    Thank you for your quick response. I have that ringtone (MP3) in every Media/Ringtones directory on my Note 4. In fact that is where I am trying to copy it from since it will no longer work. I did not post this initially because I cannot get that MP3 Added to the only Directory that will contain the ringtones that I can use. So, I am still looking for an answer. So, any additional suggestions?
    10-31-2015 03:45 PM
    It's odd that the phone is giving you options for which app to choose a ringtone. Try Clearing All App Defaults, then try again. Let us know if you're not sure how to do that.
    asctony likes this.
    10-31-2015 04:59 PM
    I am sure others may be encountering this problem. I even went to a T-Mobile Store and spoke with a Samsung Tech Rep who could not help me.
    Just tried your last suggestion to no avail. Thank again!
    10-31-2015 06:13 PM
    Please tell me how to do that. Thanks!
    10-31-2015 08:32 PM
    Sorry, but are you asking how to clear app defaults? I thought you tried it to no avail.

In any case, here's how to do it: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Guide
    10-31-2015 11:17 PM
    I did a complete reset of all defaults. Which app should I try to clear?
    11-01-2015 08:34 AM
    You did what I was suggesting--clearing all app defaults, in case there was some app that was inadvertently being used to try to select the mp3 files.
    11-01-2015 04:49 PM
    So, I assume that there is no solution for this and I will have to wait until 6 is released for TMobile Note 4. Thanks again for your help.
    11-01-2015 07:11 PM
    I can't say for sure that there's no solution. This is the kind of situation where I wish I could have the phone in hand to try things out. I've just never encountered those options when trying to select a custom ringtone--it usually just goes straight to the list of tones to pick when I tap Settings>Sound & Notifications>Ringtones. There's no additional Media Storage selection as you mention. But then again, I don't use a Samsung phone regularly, so I'm not sure if they do things a little differently in this situation.
    11-02-2015 12:11 AM