Why can't I view my pics/vids? 5.1.1 LGH731

A

AC Question

Have an LG G4 Vigor (LGH731) running 5.1.1. Earlier, I shot pics and videos saved to the SD card - installed a 128G card earlier this week. I viewed them via Gallery and ES Photo just fine. About 20 mins later, I went to view them again and the whole lot (20 pics, 4 vids) are coming up as Cannot view / incorrect format in both viewers.

Tried plugging in the phone on 2 different PCs, cannot view. Put the SD card into an adapter, same problem. Other pics/vids in the same folder are accessible. Already removed all the .nomedia files from the disk, also deleted the Android3d folder (which was empty anyway) and cleared out the Media Storage App. (You can't disable it now, so I force stopped and rebooted).

Doesn't seem like it should be a card issue, as its a new card, nothing else affected, other files in same folder viewable, content was accessible.

Annoyed as these were the Halloween pictures.

rosemartland

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Anyone? Helllo?

j/k

I wasn't really expecting an immediate response, since I've been digging all over the net and no one seems to know what causes this or how to fix it. The 'best guess' answers related to the .nomedia issue, but that fix didn't bring back my content. I'm wondering if it might be a filename issue. While the pic names are huge (eg: 20151013_084855_HDR) they are about double what I am used to. I've also noticed that all the affected files were shot in landscape; the portrait-style ones are still there.

If I had to make a guess, based on what I have been able to see of the files, I think perhaps the LG camera resolution (which is very good) makes the files bigger than Lillipop expects, and Android then flags them as incorrect filetype. I've tried several different viewers, but even Windows is saying invalid filetype (both usb and direct from card). It looks a lot like what happens when trying to play an unusual video codec in Windows Media Player.

Any thoughts? Anyone got a codec pack for lollipop?

rosemartland

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been working on this issue for a few weeks and can't find a solution.

Issue: Pictures going blank, then deleting automatically.

Affects: saved to internal mem, saved to external SD, uploaded to Drive.

Device: LG G4 Vigor running Android 5.1 Lollipop

Description: Take pics using camera. View pics via Gallery - everything fine. Switch apps, go back to Gallery: pics are either black or placeholder (broken).

If I upload to drive immediately after taking the pics (without going through gallery) or share on facebook (without going through gallery), then there's a 50-50 chance I can save the pics before they are deleted. If I view them first, then upload, there's about a 25% chance I can save them online. If I wait an hour or so, they are all blank. If I reboot, even the placeholders disappear.

This also affects videos shot with camera.

Save location has no impact: I have saved to internal storage and external SD, I have tried 3 different SD cards.

Viewing App doesn't matter: I have used ES File Explorer, Google Photos, Gallery, Drive, and file browser. Same thing happens. Also, cannot recover the pics, even by putting the SD card in a windows PC and running file recovery utilities.

Attempted the .nomedia work around noted elsewhere and it does not fix this problem.

It appears this has been a problem since Android 5.0. Is there a patch or fix for this someplace? If not, when will it be fixed? Should I try upgrading to 6.0?