I apologize if a similar question or scenario has been asked - I couldn't find an answer or procedure that worked for me.

I dropped my Galaxy S5 and cracked the screen the other day. The screen would not come on, but the phone still "worked" - the home buttons would come off if pressed, and the LED notification light seemed to be functioning as well. I installed the Samsung Smart Switch software on my PC, and plugged in my broken phone into the USB. The PC recognized the phone, but first asked me to update the software - and I foolishly clicked yes before I realized what I was doing. The software went through a progress bar on the PC, directed me to unplug from the USB and...nothing. For two hours. I think I bricked my phone, and many of the recovery methods I've found or tried don't seem to work because I can't actually use the screen. The lights no longer come on, but if I hold the power button, I get a quick half-second "vibrate" that feels like the precursor to the phone starting up or shutting down (but there are no sounds, etc., to indicate that is happening).

So, this is a two-parter. The first is: can I still get data off of my phone, somehow? I would like to get app data, texts, and other things that were stored locally versus on the SD card - but now, with the phone bricked, I'm not sure how. Some of the more complex solutions about opening the back of the phone with a screwdriver, etc., seem like they might not be useful because the entire phone is dead and whatever I would load into my "new phone" would also have a corrupted operating system or may not be able to start regardless of the health of the screen.

The second is, if I am resigned to "losing" that data, is there a way to factory reset/wipe my phone before I send it back? As part of the family plan I have, I got a replacement phone but I have to send it back within 30 days. I'd prefer to send back a clean phone.

Thanks! Happy to provide more detail where needed.
    11-07-2015 04:41 PM
    I'm not sure if this will help you but you can try.
    Here's the link:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3551602
    11-07-2015 04:46 PM