Samsung Galaxy Note 5 won't connect to Netgear N300 (WNR2000v2)

A

AC Question

Just purchased Galaxy Note 5. It has connected to multiple wifi networks just fine. But - my home wifi is a Netgear N300. WPA2-PSK [AES]. Have SSID broadcast enabled, but phone does not see network. Try to add network via WPS to no avail. I do not have access control turned on, but added the phone to the access control list and no go. Tried to manually add to network from phone and no go.

Any suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the same router with a Note 3 (two of them, actually) set to AES and it works just fine (unlike the supposedly best Linksys stuff), so it's not the design of the router. (WPS works too, when I play around enough to need to make a new connection.)

As B. Diddy asked, does it work on other routers? Does it connect to the Netgear if you set it to open (no encryption)? Do other devices connect to that router?

Those things can localize where the problem is.

(Create a free account here, so you can respond in this thread by clicking any of the "Reply" buttons.

ahonent

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
As stated in the op, the phone has connected to multiple other wifi networks with no problem. Other devices connect to the netgear router with no problem.

Turned off encryption - phone doesn't see SSID broadcast and won't connect manually
Rebooted router - phone doesn't see SSID and won't and won't connect manually
Changed network name - phone doesn't see SSIC and won't connect manually

At each of the above steps, my ipad connected to the network immediately.

So bottom line, the phone works fine with other networks and the network works fine with other devices, but the phone and the network won't communicate. Argh.

ahonent

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Well - it is sorted out. While the phone has been previously fine connecting to various wifi networks, I noticed at breakfast at a restaurant this morning that the phone was not seeing the network. Hmmm. Rebooted. Fixed. Just got back home from a long day and appears the reboot also fixed the home wifi connectivity issue.

The old turn it off then turn it back on again troubleshooting method works yet again.