Nexus 6P Case Sleep Function?

A

AC Question

I have been using the Nexus 5 for the past two years, and I've had a great experience using a flip case that would turn off the screen when closed and instantly wake the screen when flipped open. This was very convenient to me, as it not only protected the screen in my pocket, but made checking my notifications super easy as I could quickly flip open and flip close and not have to hit any hardware buttons.

I have the Nexus 6P now, and have been setting it up the past week, and am ready to switch over - however, I haven't been able to find any similar flip cases with a sleep function. I recently asked if a case on Amazon had the feature, and was told "that capability is not possible with the Nexus 6P." That can't be true, can it? The official Folio case on the Google Play store says that you can "simply open your Folio to wake your screen, or close it to put your phone to sleep" so it has to be something the 6P is capable of. It seems crazy that they would remove that feature, unless it was a unfortunate result of the aluminum body. Of course, I don't want to buy the Folio case, as there have been many negative reports of the case's design and difficulty, and I would prefer a case with a strap to keep the cover closed.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 6P and a sleep function? Is it not possible anymore? Has anyone found a suitable flip case that supports this?

I know this is a pretty silly grievance to have, but I feel without this AND Qi charging, it is a bit of a deal breaker.