Hi I am going to buy an s6 edge off craigslist. The person claims it is brand new and is selling for less than 500$ so it seemed kind of fishy. Can you guys tell me how to tell if it is real or fake when I buy from him? Thx

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-16-2015 06:49 PM
    Step 1: Don't buy phones from strangers, especially on craigslist.
    Step 2: If step 1 fails, do the transaction in your carrier's store and have them verify the IMEI, ESN, etc. and have them verify that there are no liens on the device and that it hasn't been blacklisted.
    Step 3: Please pay attention to step 1.
    Step 4: If step 1, 2 and 3 fail, you can check the IMEI for fee on some sites, for example: https://swappa.com/esn or Check IMEI - IMEI.info
    Step 5: The main reason for step 1 is that it is possible for thieves, scum and other people of disrepute can change this information on the device so that it looks "clean". Using the second link to check the IMEI will return the device manufacturer. If that says anything that isn't "SAMSUNG", that is not a good sign. Check the device for a carrier logo and call that carrier before trading funds and ask them if the device is free and clear.
    Step 6: Please don't buy phones from strangers, especially on craigslist. Using sites like Swappa, Ebay, etc. where you have recourse for devices that are not as advertised is much safer - but even then, whenever possible devices should be bought brand new, in a sealed box from an authorized distributer.
    11-16-2015 06:59 PM
    whenever possible devices should be bought brand new, in a sealed box from an authorized distributor.
    Or refurbished from an authorized re-seller. At least you know you're getting legitimate goods, even if they are used.
    Aquila likes this.
    11-17-2015 09:59 AM