Play Store 'insufficient storage available'

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I can't install any apps within the Google Play store it says, 'insufficient storage available'.

I use 'App cache cleaner', and 'SD Maid' to clean the system cache and other junk files but it makes no difference.

I've cleared cache of Google Play Store and Google Play services. The size of the data is only small at 22mb.

I've tried uninstalling a large app of size 150mb but just the same.

I've looked for large files within ESfileExplorer and Storage and can't see unwanted files to delete when analysing the internal storage. Also the logcat file is good to delete and make room but it's only a small file not 800mb on mine after analysing the storage.

I have 6gb spare on internal storage.
52gb spare on sd card.

I've moved most of my moveable apps over to the SD card using 'App2sd link (root)' to use symbolic links. This has increased the available storage in system so Android should see plenty of space in internal storage.

I've cleared data on all the Google Play apps including:

Google Play Store
Google Play services
Google Play music
Google Play movies
Google Play services framework
Google App

Basically resetting it to first boot state.

I rebooted and tried to install or update an app in Google Play and it just says 'insufficient storage available'.

I go into SD Maid to clear all cache and junk, go back to google play, it just says same message of insufficient storage.

Has anyone got a useful technique for dealing with this common problem?

I can't believe Google hasn't sorted out this problem, I've bought an app but can't install it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? If it's an older device that partitions its total Internal Storage into a smaller App Storage area and a larger Internal SD, then the 10 GB of free internal storage you're seeing might be the Internal SD, which acts just like an external SD, and can't have apps directly installed on it. This is the old way of doing things--newer devices have unified storage, such that the entire Internal Storage can be used for both app installation and data storage (so Google did in fact figure that out). Can you show us a screenshot of your Settings>Storage menu? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
IMAG0019.jpg

Screenshot of internal storage

Total space: 12.3gb
Available: 6.4gb
Apps (app data & media ): 6.3gb
Pictures: 8kb
Downloads: 8kb
Cached data: 41mb
Misc: 3.2gb

This means at least 3gb is available so should be enough to install an app of average size.

I have a brand new Droidbox T8 S which runs like a tablet connected to the TV and I don't think the apps are stored on a small partition as they occupy 6gb and there is 3gb at least still available.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Use a file manager app to look around for any leftover files or folders that might be related to deleted apps. Some apps can leave behind large .obb files, even after you uninstalled them.

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I managed to delete the following from root:

/cache
/data/dalvik-cache - which was rebuilt on reboot and freed up 130mb.

But the issue is still there with insufficient storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

pumpin007

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I was having same issue too. Go to play store and download App Cache Cleaner – 1Tap Clean. weird i know. Download it, run it, let it clear your cache. Now go back and update your apps. Worked perfectly for me. You don't have to be rooted either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for that tip. For most Android devices, you can actually go to Settings>Storage​, tap the Cached Data category, and clear all app caches from there, so you might not even need the 3rd party app.

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I've already tried App Cache cleaner and SD Maid which does an even deeper clean of the system but it makes no difference.

I've had to do a factory reset because I couldn't find anything else to delete after emptying the cache and data folders.

There is a good app that helps with this problem called Apps2SD link root. Which not only links and moves apps over to SD but also has several other useful tools.

You can:
-Clear all application caches
-Multi select apps and clear data and/or cache (useful for clearing Play store and it's services).
-Clear orphan data and lib files
-Clear all dalvik cache files (space freed and files rebuilt at reboot).
-Link all dalvik cache files to SD (several hundred mb freed).

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800