Hey,

Long time reader, and I wanted to get your advice.
    I've been an iPhone user since the first iPhone came out, and I have a Macbook Pro Retina.
    My friends have been Android users for many years now, and I grew envious of all of the features and freedom that they had on their phones.
    I ended up getting a Oneplus One and a Note 3 on two separate occasions, and I absolutely loved them. I used them both for a few weeks each, and I had so much more fun using them. However, I ended up going back to my iPhone 6 plus, because I found that I was stuck in the Apple Ecosystem. I type all of my texts using the imessage application on my mac. The other continuity features are nice but I could live without. However, typing on my computer to send a text is absolutely huge to me. I could also simply drag a photo or video to the message box on my imessage mac application and send it instantly. I tried alternatives while on Android, but pushbullet does not have a desktop client for mac, and the other alternatives went through their own private servers and were somewhat sketchy. I feel like I'm trapped with my iPhone. I like the Android experience but my girlfriend, brother, parents, and some important people in my life all have iMessage, and I feel like no matter what amazing Android device comes out, I'm stuck to my ecosystem.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    12-01-2015 07:55 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Not sure what to suggest here. I can see your dilemma. On one hand you have a fair amount of people that you can't ask to change to an app like Hangouts just for you. And I can see not wanting to carry around 2 devices. All. The. Time.

I can ask around and see what else other people can think of.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-01-2015 08:07 PM
    You can send messages from the Pushbullet website, but the free version is now limited to just 100 messages a month. Not sure what else you can try
    12-01-2015 08:11 PM
    Mighty Text is another app that does the same thing. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.texty.sms
    Crashdamage likes this.
    12-01-2015 08:15 PM
    I've tried mightytext but it's buggy. I'm sure there are more people like me, I'm surprised it's not a more widespread issue. What do people with Androids do?
    And what do they do for Visual voicemail also?
    12-01-2015 08:46 PM
    I thought of pushbullet but they don't make a desktop client app for Mac, only Windows. Having to go to the chrome browser would be a huge nuisance considering my imessages are pushed to me and are in the form of a desktop application. I'm only being nitpicky here because I really do love android and I legitimately feel like there's huge barrier to changing, I feel trapped in the apple ecosystem.
    12-01-2015 08:48 PM
    I think you can use Chrome with an available Pushbullett extension. Use Windows, Mac or Linux and send SMS, MMS to anyone, WhatsApp, Hangouts, anyone. At least I think so. Almost everyone I know uses Android and regular text messaging, so fortunately, I haven't had to mess with all proprietary stuff.

At some point, if you really want to get out from under Apple's boot ya just gotta pull up your big boy pants, take a deep breath and sell everything with a fruit emblem. Make a clean, decisive break. Otherwise, Apple will keep stepping on you, grinding the bootheel deep into your bank account.

If you really want to sprint into daylight, go Linux.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-01-2015 08:57 PM
    What carrier are you on? At&t has a messaging program that works on your phone, tablet, and computer. I believe Verizon has one as well.
    12-01-2015 09:03 PM
    For visual voicemail and much note, get the amazing, free Google Voice.
    If you want VV and most of the features of GV but not a second phone number, Google Voice Lite.
    12-01-2015 09:07 PM
    I'm in Canada so I'm on Rogers.
    Their messaging system is absolute garbage, as are the others in Canada.
    For Google Voice, it supplies visual voicemail? Would it work in Canada? I don't want a second number, I just want VW for my current number.
    12-01-2015 09:30 PM
    Oops, sorry but Google Voice is USA only.
    12-01-2015 10:55 PM
    just my luck
    12-01-2015 11:16 PM