I shot some video and some photos on my Google Nexus 5 and if I went to play them in the Photos app, the videos would play instantly as they were shot on that phone. Once I wiped my phone though (and now subsequently with a S6) it has to buffer to download and play those videos. That works OK, except some of these videos I want available always. Any way I can tell Photos to cache locally on my phone some of these images and videos? It is also beneficial when I am not in a cell service area.

I do not desire to have double the videos shown in Photos, so having to Save Locally and then have it somehow show up twice?

Thanks!
    12-16-2015 01:12 PM
    There is a download option, click on the three dots in the upper right of the video. It will not create a duplicate in you photos app
    12-16-2015 01:44 PM
    There is a download option, click on the three dots in the upper right of the video. It will not create a duplicate in you photos app
    Yes the download option does indeed download the video and I can see it in my Downloads.
    However, if I then enable Airplane mode, and launch Photos, if I click on that video, it never plays. If I go and use my Camera to make a new video on THIS phone, then go in to Airplane mode, I can go into Photos and that video will play. That is the behavior I would like for any photo or video which I click Download on.

With this method you describe, I have to go to my Downloads and click on the .mp4. While it works, it is not ideal (for obvious reasons I think). It should play within Photos.
    12-16-2015 03:09 PM
    Do you have the downloads directory set backup on google photos?
    12-16-2015 03:25 PM
    Look in your stock gallery to view it "offline" after you downloaded it. Google Photo app requires a data connection.
    12-16-2015 03:45 PM
    Do you have the downloads directory set backup on google photos?
    I didn't. I went in to Photos and went to Device Folders, saw Downloads (only 2 videos in it currently, 2 that I did hit Save , from photos). Then clicked the little cloud icon in the top right. It is blue now. I gave it a couple minutes while connected to WiFi (i had photos set to only sync on WiFi), so expecting now Downloads will too.

Still when I click on the video in Photos, it buffers with the spinning circle, then plays. If I browse to Downloads, it plays instantly.
    Then I went in Airplane again, and of course the one in Photos wont. Yes, I can browse to Downloads.
    12-16-2015 03:46 PM
    Look in your stock gallery to view it "offline" after you downloaded it. Google Photo app requires a data connection.
    This seems true. Except *IF* you shoot the video or photo on the phone you are on, then it not only appears in Photos and plays Offline in Photos, but plays Online without needing to buffer online. There must be some metadata telling it to actually go look locally first, then Online if cant find it locally.
    12-16-2015 03:47 PM