Over the years, I have owned everything from a Droid to my new Galaxy S5. At work I had a Torx. I have notice a problem on them more recently. When I delete file (pictures, videos, etc.) instead of changing the free space, it say that it is still being used.

With my work phone (the Torx), it said I had a lot of pictures on it, but when I would look through the file manager, nothing was ever there. I solved that by just restoring factory defaults. No big deal as I only used it for work.

Now with my S5, I have unis taller almost every app I don't use regularly and move all pocs/videos/etc off onto my compuqter. I have cleared the cache and deleted everything I could ... but I still says u only have 1gb of free space.

I am not sure how to redo the file system that us obviously wrong, without a wipe and reinstall. Is there another option? Some of the games and stuff on my phone will reset if I do this, and I really don't want to start over.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-18-2015 11:53 PM
    Hi and welcome to AndroidCentral.

What size storage do you have on your Galaxy S5? Are you using a microSD card or just the phone storage?

Could you post a screenshot showing what your storage looks like in your file manager app so that we can see what is taking up the space?
    12-18-2015 11:59 PM
    I seem to have stumbled upon a small fix for my S5. I rebooted and cleared the cache in the recovery menu. Then upon reboot, cleared the cache in the memory setting.

After that, my phone froze up and rebooted it self. Upon reboot I now have over 4 gigs of free space. Guess this will solve the problem with app updates for now. But this seems to be an on going problem with android.

Even after freeing up space, it doesn't alway "free" up all the space.

12-19-2015 12:02 AM
    I seem to have stumbled upon a small fix for my S5. I rebooted and cleared the cache in the recovery menu. Then upon reboot, cleared the cache in the memory setting.

After that, my phone froze up and rebooted it self. Upon reboot I now have over 4 gigs of free space. Guess this will solve the problem with app updates for now. But this seems to be an on going problem with android.

Even after freeing up space, it doesn't alway "free" up all the space.

I'm glad that you have found a solution. Please let us know if you need any additional help if the problem should return.
    12-19-2015 12:04 AM