I have a Nexus 5 running Android 6.01 (build MMB29K) and I am unable to locate MP3 files that have been downloaded from Google Play. I've downloaded 3 albums recently and although I have physically downloaded them onto the device, they are invisible when searching the device using File Manager.
    I've checked in all the usual places (e.g. storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.google.android.music/files) but there is absolutely no sign of them. Consequently, any third party music player that isn't Google's own is unable to see any of the music files and is therefore rendered somewhat impotent.

Is this an "improvement" in Android M?? Google's way of forcing users to use its music player?

I've search online but there doesn't seem to be a whole heap of info out there on this which is starting to make me wonder whether it's just me?

Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Thanks
    12-19-2015 11:04 AM
    Downloading from the app will be in a proprietary format. Use the desktop browser if you want the mp3
    12-19-2015 12:36 PM
    I connected my phone to my windows computer with the USB cord. Then I made it a mass storage device* and in the media folder on my SD card, I created a folder and called it Audio. Then I copied a folder of music from my iTunes folder that I had ripped from my CD. So now there is a folder with the album name and the songs in that folder as MP3's, with clear names.

Then I downloaded a music player on my phone. At random, I picked Music Player by iJoysoft. When I start the app, it found all my downloaded music perfectly.

Now I have to see if I can play it through Bluetooth to my car radio.

* When I connect the USB cord, I get a message that says "USB for charging" I click on it and I'm given the choice to use USB to transfer files. When I click that, it is now a mass storage device.
    01-18-2016 09:12 AM
    I connected my phone to my windows computer with the USB cord. Then I made it a mass storage device* and in the media folder on my SD card, I created a folder and called it Audio. Then I copied a folder of music from my iTunes folder that I had ripped from my CD. So now there is a folder with the album name and the songs in that folder as MP3's, with clear names.

Then I downloaded a music player on my phone. At random, I picked Music Player by iJoysoft. When I start the app, it found all my downloaded music perfectly.

Now I have to see if I can play it through Bluetooth to my car radio.

* When I connect the USB cord, I get a message that says "USB for charging" I click on it and I'm given the choice to use USB to transfer files. When I click that, it is now a mass storage device.
    I do something similar, but with different apps. I use iSyncr from JRT Studios to sunc my music. It can sync songs by Artist, Album, Genre, or by playlist. It also can update the play counts and ratings in your iTunes library. iSyncr can sync your music either by a USB connection, or by WiFi. For playing music I use Rocket Player also by JRT Studios... both app are awesome and I've been using them for several years.
    01-18-2016 10:58 AM
    None of that (last 2 posts) applies to Google Music whose files are DRM protected.
    01-18-2016 11:04 AM