Hi. I wondered if anyone could help. I have just bought a new galaxy note 4, after my htc one m8 broke. I love everything about the phone however the battery seems to be draining too quickly. I basically turn it on about 7am and use it to search the net, watch a few videos etc, and by 5 pm it's dead. Strangely, from about 20% it really does drop fast, where it could be in my pocket doing nothing, then 5 minutes later it's dead. This can be seen in the attachment with an almost vertical line on the graph! I have tried a factory reset and wiping the cache but it's not really helped. Looking at the battery usage in settings it appears to be mostly Android os that is doing it. Is this normal? Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails New Galaxy Note 4 Battery Draining-screenshot_2015-12-25-16-03-58.jpg  
    12-25-2015 07:21 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

Android OS battery drain can be difficult to fix. The first thing to try is the simplest... a Power Off and Restart of the phone.
    Tell us what that does. If no go, we'll consider other things.
    12-25-2015 07:52 AM
    Hi, thanks for your quick response. I tried restarting, as you suggested but the battery is still draining really quickly. Another thing I noticed is today, when connected via my car's usb and using google maps the battery was still draining, despite being in a power source. I know that google maps is quite power heavy but my previous phone would never actually drop power when plugged in. Also, I put it into aeroplane mode overnight and about 6 hours later when I woke up it was down to 87%. This seems quite a drop considering I have an old iPad that had stayed on 3% power for a few days (I haven't been using it). Could this mean i have a dodgy battery or am I missing something? Thanks

12-26-2015 05:53 AM
    Please accept my apologies for have failed to notice that you've already tried a cache wipe and reset - in that case the recommendation on my part to reboot was almost worthless.

Android OS should not cause high battery drain given reasonably normal use of the device - except perhaps in a new device before everything settles down - but on the other hand, your battery performance, especially the sudden drop at the end, does suggest that you may have a duff battery. If so, a warranty replacement would take care of it.
    I'll ask some friends whether they have any further suggestions.
    12-26-2015 07:31 AM
    No probs. Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

12-26-2015 07:39 AM
    Yes, it does seem like a new battery is in order.
    belodion likes this.
    12-26-2015 09:42 AM
    Hi, well I changed the battery to a new one and everything is much better now, thankfully. Seems strange that a brand new phone would come with a faulty battery but anyway, thanks for the advice!

belodion and xocomaox like this.
    12-27-2015 08:50 PM
    I find the biggest problem with battery drain is data sync intervals like email etc
    Only have what u use sync plus disable any apps that u never plan to use, keep dark color backgrounds.
    Plus if you are running 5.1.1 u can optimize apps in the battery settings.
    12-27-2015 09:35 PM
    Hi, well I changed the battery to a new one and everything is much better now, thankfully. Seems strange that a brand new phone would come with a faulty battery but anyway, thanks for the advice!

Yes, it does happen and luckily it's an easy fix with a removable battery. This is apparently difficult to catch in a quality control check because the battery does hold a charge and discharges a passing amount when under load, but they don't have time to test longevity and other more involved tests.

I'm glad it is resolved!
    12-28-2015 05:48 AM