Lg stylo 5.1.1-- growing, undeletable system data

A

AC Question

Hi, I'm not super tech savvy but I've been reading about this problem I'm having with my brand new LG Stylo (5.1.1) and nothing seems to work. So, my internal memory is always 'insufficient' and I keep deleting apps or moving them to my sd card. The majority of my space use is 'miscellaneous' (about 80%) and that is all 'system data' it's at 5.9 GB and growing (out of 8 GB.) It just keeps increasing and increasing and I am unable to delete it. I have tried the *#9900# but I just get an error message (i tried this in safe mode, too) and cannot clear the logcat. I also downloaded diskusage and that doesn't help either. I have been reading up and it appears I will have to root my phone, but that is risky and really beyond my skill set. I'm wondering if I should just see if I can exchange my phone at Cricket but I figure I will have the same issue with the same new phone.
If anyone knows something else I can try before having to take drastic measures (in simplest language possible), I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Regardless of whether this is a specific problem for the Stylo, you will generally have more problems with insufficient storage with an 8 GB phone. These days, you pretty much need at least 16 GB (32 GB if you want to install large apps and use lots of streaming services). So it might not be worth the trouble to keep the current phone.

usprincesse

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Okay so what you're saying is I can't delete anything from the system data? Mine was a little over 5GB but has now grown to 7.10GB!! I've deleted the only game I had on it now can't get it or any other game on it due to insufficient space!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to tell what the breakdown of that system data is (especially without the phone in front of me). Look at apps like Google Play Music, Google Play Videos, Google Play Books, and Google Play Newsstand to see if there is a lot of cached data or app data associated with each.

Taco22

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
It's a problem with some lg g stylo's and no you don't need a 16 gB phone. The problem lies with an unknown script error on the part of the developer.
Basically it never deletes old info pertaining to your operating system and bloatware on your phone.
Not every lg g stylo does this, your system as of Jan 30 should only be around 2.5 gB so if its more than that, you have a slightly defective phone.
My family has 3 lg g stylos. One never increases its system data barring operating system updates the other 2 add about .2 gB of system data per day.

SOLUTIONS
1. Backup all your contacts and info like pictures to an email, sd card or computer.
2. Factory reset your phone.
3. Check to see the size of your system data. If it's more than 3 gB your phone is defective and you'll need to call Cricket or Lg.
***Do not let cricket R00t your phone it will void your warranty.