I'm new to Android so I assume this to be a silly question but here goes: I have a new S6 Edge+ and I thought that running applications would be stopped by selecting the 'Recents' button and then 'Close All'. I've just noticed that the apps are still running and using data. For example I was using Waze and was still receiving navigation prompts even though I thought I had closed the app. Same with Google music. Start a song, 'Close All', and the song continues to play.

Is there a way to close apps completely without killing the process in the Settings/ Applications menu?
    12-26-2015 12:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Android prefers to keep RAM relatively full of open apps, to make app opening and switching more efficient. If you close an app out of RAM, the system will automatically open that app or another one as it sees fit. Android isn't like Windows (which prefers to keep RAM as empty as possible).
    12-26-2015 01:50 PM
    Thanks for the response. The problem is the data usage. I see an option to prevent data usage when an item is in the background. When I'm in the car I like to use GPS and stream music from Google via bluetooth. This requires one of the tasks to be in the background and that would prevent me from disabling data usage for an app in the background.
    12-26-2015 02:18 PM
    Oh, I see what you're asking. Swiping or closing an app in the Recent Apps list doesn't always completely shut down all of an app's processes. Google Play Music continues playing music as a background service (so that you don't have to keep the phone open to the app all the time when listening). To close that service, you can swipe down the notification panel, pause the music, then swipe it away. Other apps may still use data off and on, depending on the app and how it's coded. If you want to prevent a particular app from using background data (when it isn't open in the foreground), go to Settings>Data Usage, select that app, and Restrict Background Data for that app only (as opposed to universally restricting background data).
    Laura Knotek and cod73 like this.
    12-26-2015 06:05 PM
    Yep - exactly what I was looking for. I noticed Waze allowed me to close the app from the notification panel as well. Thanks!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-26-2015 06:48 PM