Malware scam lock on

A

AC Question

I have a malware lock on my web access and I can't figure out how to remove it. Phone is a Note 4 and I have it in Safe Mode, but can not find app that is causing the issue to clear/remove the web page

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean a lock on your web access? Are you seeing a ransomware popup, like the notorious FBI virus? Is it actually occurring in Safe Mode, or are you saying that you just can't identify which app is responsible while you're in Safe Mode?

billgulledge

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on Note 3. Don't use safe mode. Ransom ware popup says will report to FBI. I quit using the browser that came with the phone and can only use Chrome instead. If I use the original browser I get the FBI popup. Will a factory reset get rid of this ransom ware. What else can I try? Please help.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on Note 3. Don't use safe mode. Ransom ware popup says will report to FBI. I quit using the browser that came with the phone and can only use Chrome instead. If I use the original browser I get the FBI popup. Will a factory reset get rid of this ransom ware. What else can I try? Please help.
Try going in to your settings -apps and find the browser. Force close it and clear app data and cache. See if that helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with beagle82. The homepage setting for your stock browser has probably been set to some malicious site. Wiping out the app data for the browser should get rid of that default homepage.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The FBI ransom-ware popup is NOT browser specific. It has all to do with what webpages you visit, so it can still happen on Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, etc, if you happen to visit a page that's running the FBI script. Do as beagle82 recommends to see if clearing cache/data will at least help with the stock browser. Furthermore, the FBI page itself is not malicious unless you click on it somewhere. If you see it in any browser, immediately close the entire browser (Force stop the browser) rather than trying to close the FBI page/popup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome