Email problem - Charter.net email on a Galaxy Note, emails disappear

A

AC Question

This is actually my father in law's phone, but am trying to help him resolve the problem.

Up until August 2015 the email with Charter had no problems on this phone. At the end of August, the phone stopped receiving emails from his charter.net email address. FIL stopped sending emails from the phone, so do not know if outgoing emails were working or not.

My FIL does use Incredimail to get email on his computer. This has always worked for him and still does today.

I tried to correct the problem today and am not having much luck. I used the guide on charter.com, suggestions on this site and searched Google, but nothing is working. My FIL has called Charter, called Verizon and gone to a Verizon store and none of them can figure out the problem.

What I have done so far:
1. Deleted email account on phone and added it back, several times
2. Tried to set it up as imap and pop3 (multiple times each) Charter says to use imap, but did find another charter link that said you can use either. The strange thing is that charter says to select the option to save or delete emails when setting up imap, but we only get that option with pop3.
3. Tried using several different than ports
4. Set it up manually and let it automatically set up.

After trying everything I can figure out, here is where we are now:
1. I have outgoing emails working (had to uncheck requires authentication under outgoing settings)
2. The phone does get incoming emails, but they go away after a couple of minutes and the phone only gets the email as it is sent. If it was sent 5 minutes ago and you go on the phone to get that email, it will not come up on the phone. I figured this out by sending an email to the phone, then refreshing the mailbox to look for new emails.

Problems I need help with:
1. Once the phone gets an email, the email goes away after a few minutes. It is no longer in the inbox or any other folder on the phone. We want the emails to remain on the phone until he decides to delete them ( my service and phone allow this on my 4 different devices so I know it can be done)
2. When he goes on email on his phone, it should be able to see old emails. If he received an email a month ago, he should be able to find it on his phone.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Link to email setup: removed link as system thought it was spam

ccualumni

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the help everyone.

After thinking about it over and over, I finally figured out that his phone was getting the emails, but his Incredimail program was actually grabbing the email and deleting it from Charter's server. When the phone would refresh for more emails, they would no longer be on the server and that made it seem like the email disappeared.

I changed the setting in Incredimail to leave the email on the server and the phone gets emails and keeps them. Downloaded k9 email app as the email would show up on the phone again after deleting it.

Thanks again everyone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the help everyone.

After thinking about it over and over, I finally figured out that his phone was getting the emails, but his Incredimail program was actually grabbing the email and deleting it from Charter's server. When the phone would refresh for more emails, they would no longer be on the server and that made it seem like the email disappeared.

I changed the setting in Incredimail to leave the email on the server and the phone gets emails and keeps them. Downloaded k9 email app as the email would show up on the phone again after deleting it.

Thanks again everyone.
Glad you got it worked out and thanks for sharing with us the solution

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49