04-20-2016 05:40 PM
279 ... 89101112
tools
    But this never happened before why is it wasting like 13-14% now

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2016 11:13 PM
    I have a Samsung grand prime and what percentage should I put my phone in the charger so I get the fullest out my phone

01-09-2016 11:13 PM
    I never let my phone hit 30%. And it very seldom does.
    01-09-2016 11:37 PM
    I always run my phone down to 15% before giving it a full charge.
    but I'm a heavy user, so I end up charging my phone twice a day.
    01-09-2016 11:41 PM
    The smaller the DoD, the better.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2016 11:42 PM
    What is DOD

01-10-2016 12:05 AM
    Depth of Discharge..
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Prime Questions from New User-1452406764023.jpg  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-2016 12:19 AM
    Wait so does that mean that I should charge my phone when it hits around 10%

01-10-2016 01:35 PM
    And who made this forum $. $

01-10-2016 01:36 PM
    And who made this forum $. $

Your questions were merged into a single thread, since it will be easier for members to assist you with everything in one place.
    01-10-2016 01:59 PM
    Oh OK I have 2 question about receiving notifications

1. when I receive a text / Snap chat message / kik message should I turn vibrate off or on ? Because I'm trying to save battery so idk to keep it off or on

2. When I receive notifications should I turn wake screen off or on ? Doesn't waking the screen kind of mess up ur battery life ? Off or on?

01-10-2016 02:12 PM
    Wait so does that mean that I should charge my phone when it hits around 10%
    That chart can be a bit confusing. Talking strictly of maximizing battery health, it listed the number of cycles based on how much has been used, aka depth of discharge. In that chart, a 10% DoD is the same as if your phone's battery meter went from 100% to only 90%.

You do need to read the article linked several posts up to the Battery University page it came from. Taking that chart out of context and by itself and using it as a guideline for when to charge can actually hurt the battery if you plug in at 90%. Lithium batteries don't like being at a constant high charge rate above about 75%. There's also other factors involved too. It's generally accepted that running your battery down to 40% or so before charging to full is a good compromise with phones. If the battery is removable, then I'd actually go lower, to 20-30% remaining. That way you can save wear and tear on USB cables and the port. I'd rather replace a battery early than hardware, but that's my personal preference.

Oh OK I have 2 question about receiving notifications

1. when I receive a text / Snap chat message / kik message should I turn vibrate off or on ? Because I'm trying to save battery so idk to keep it off or on

2. When I receive notifications should I turn wake screen off or on ? Doesn't waking the screen kind of mess up ur battery life ? Off or on?
    1) If you're talking about vibration vs sound notifications, then vibration will use a little more power. If you're doing a lot of messaging and getting notices often, you may see a difference between the two. If you don't get a lot of notices, then the difference will be negligible.

2) If you're looking to purely increase battery life between charges, then obviously leaving the screen off with notifications is best, assuming you have another form of indication. Otherwise you could fall into a pattern of manually turning it on more often to check than if you let it turn itself on as needed. Going back to (1), I'm not sure if vibration or screen on would take more power. I personally would just do whatever is more convenient. I'm not away from an outlet long enough for that kind of micromanaging of power to become an issue.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-2016 02:37 PM
    So your telling me charging ur phone at a high percentage such as 90%-40% can hurt your phone and charging it from 20%-10% won't hurt ur phone it will help it

01-12-2016 06:52 AM
    So your telling me charging ur phone at a high percentage such as 90%-40% can hurt your phone and charging it from 20%-10% won't hurt ur phone it will help it

Like I said, you really need to read that article. Keeping your phone above 75% for long periods, and letting it drop below about 40% can hurt the battery. The longer it's held at a high charge and the deeper you discharge it, the more harm it can do.

If you don't want to read the Battery University page, then just charge your phone and use as normal. When it hits about 40% remaining, plug it in. That's the general guidelines without having to understand what's going on in it.
    01-12-2016 07:21 AM
    What's the link to the article and

What do you mean ?

Let it hit 40% then stick it in the charger till it reaches 100% isn't that bad thoe lol I thought I would have to wait for it to say plug it in the charger. . But anyways I should let it drop to 40% then plug it in the charger till 100%

01-12-2016 08:06 AM
    This is the article I was referring to.

The main problems are like I said, keeping batteries at a high charge and draining them to or near zero (temperature being a third, but usually not an issue with phones unless you're seeing warning notices). The absolute best is to keep them around 50%. So at that point, the user has to decide. You don't want to be plugging and unplugging every ten minutes to keep it right in the middle. The battery will certainly benefit, but it's a huge inconvenience for most people and you'll run through cables like crazy as they wear out. Charging to 100%, then draining to zero is most convenient but can harm the battery. So it's a balance of what works best for you.

The 40% mark is only a guideline and you are free to adjust as necessary. It's just a good starting point to work from. The good news is lithium batteries aren't affected by short charge/use cycles. All things being equal, two 50% drain and charge cycles are effectively the same as one full discharge. Arguably better since you're avoiding the full drain.

Charging to 100% and then using it isn't going to hurt because it's going to quickly drop during use. You mainly don't want to store it as a full battery (which is why they only have a partial charge when you get a new one), and I don't even recommend overnight charging. That may be extreme to some, but it's not even an inconvenience to me to just make sure it's charged enough to last through the night. Besides, knowing my luck, I'd damage the USB cable and/or phone port trying to blindly grab it when the alarm goes off and I yank it the wrong way. Lol
    01-12-2016 08:35 AM
    Alright so charge it to 100% then when it drops to 40% charge it again to 100% am I right? And it won't hurt ur battery right

01-12-2016 01:29 PM
    In general no, it won't hurt the battery to do that.
    01-12-2016 02:11 PM
    Alright so that's what ima start doing should I just do 40% to 100 or 40% to 80%

01-12-2016 03:36 PM
    I personally go to 100%, especially if I'm using it afterwards. The only time I wouldn't is if I'm going to have it in storage.
    01-12-2016 05:39 PM
    What do you mean have it in storage

01-12-2016 05:41 PM
    Oh and I read the article I'm not really much of an expert on phones so I didn't get it that much lol all I know is when my phone hits 40% charge it to 100% everyday and that means that my battery would last longer am I right

01-12-2016 05:42 PM
    What do you mean have it in storage
    Like if you know you'll be out of service and not needing it for several days, or if you upgrade but wish to keep it as a backup phone.

And you got it on charging. There's a ton of info on battery care, and I learned most of it via the electric RC hobby. Their batteries are chemically similar to a phone, so much of their info applies to phones as well. The stuff that doesn't would be overkill to phone users.
    01-12-2016 06:12 PM
    I'm sorry but what you said to me made no sense to me lol

01-12-2016 06:53 PM
    By storage, Mooncatt means if you're not going to use the battery for quite some time and plan to store it some place like in your drawer or cabinet. In general, it's recommended to store a battery at a charge level of around 50% (not 100%). That'll keep the battery fresh for longer.
    01-12-2016 09:50 PM
279 ... 89101112