04-20-2016 05:40 PM
279 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Basically.. I can't imagine when you would need to clear miscellaneous files.

Only clear the cache of an individual app if the app is not operating correctly.

Pretty much ignore your RAM and cache.

Wipe cache partition when you do a small OS update. This can also be done if your entire phone is having a problem.
    01-09-2016 01:27 AM
    So if my phone is going slow and I'd how to fix it I should just clear cache partition

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2016 01:28 AM
    Yes that would be a good thing to try first. Or you could even try safe mode to see if it is happening then, if not, it is probably an app causing it.
    01-09-2016 01:33 AM
    And what exactly is cache partition

01-09-2016 01:34 AM
    These are instructions for the Note 5, but it is the same for all Android phones.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-23240
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2016 01:36 AM
    I assume you mean me, something I said. What are you confused about? What was it I said?
    01-09-2016 01:41 AM
    Please use this thread for further discussion. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask...ous-files.html
    Crashdamage likes this.
    01-09-2016 01:48 AM
    The battery isn't bad, but it will probably go bad faster if you keep treating it that way. Lithium batteries give you the best lifetime if you don't discharge them below 40%.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2016 01:54 AM
    You don't need to do anything unless you have a problem. Android is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.

Sorry Kelly, but I don't think clearing the cache partition is done the same way for all devices. I *think* it varies.

I never clear the cache partition, not even after updates. It's counterproductive, can actually slow the phone down for s while, wasting resources rebuilding caches.

Usually, cache files can be left untouched for the life of the device with no negative effects. Leave them alone to do what they're intended to do.

If the phone is slow, it's *possible* a cache file is causing trouble, but more likely something else, a bad app or something.

First do an ordinary reboot. If it's still slow post back here and I,'ll try to help you sort it out.
    01-09-2016 04:27 AM
    Alright so after an update I shouldn't clear cache partition and If my phone is going slow and I reboot but if nothin happens should I Clear my cache partition or just clear regular cache in storage

01-09-2016 06:37 AM
    When should I Clear Cache partition?

01-09-2016 06:38 AM
    What device is this on?
    01-09-2016 09:47 AM
    You are having an issue with your phone you said, going slow. This is what I would do..

First I would reboot of I had not already.

I would go ahead and clear the cache partition if that didn't work. If that didn't work then I would do an wipe cache. If that didn't work, myself I would skip safe mode and then reset and slowly add back KY apps. Most people don't like to reset, it doesn't bother me.

Crash doesn't agree about the cache wipe when updating, I never update with out a cache wipe. Many people wait to see if they have problems after the update but many of us cache wipe automatically. I used to always reset after an update, but now after small ones I only cache wipe.

Wiping cache after an update because you won't get tons of them, isn't a bad thing, you can also wait to see if you have any issues after the update. I just don't wait, I just go ahead and get it done.

You said you are having a problem with your phone being slow, so now you can do a cache wipe or you can go the safe mode route and see if it is slow in safe mode and then you have to figure out what app is causing it.

Your having a problem you said, so now you can cache wipe. It isn't something you need to worry about when to do it.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    01-09-2016 10:27 AM
    Sorry Kelly, but I don't think clearing the cache partition is done the same way for all devices. I *think* it varies.
    I wasn't detailed in my explanation.. It varies how you boot into recovery, but choosing cache wipe is the same.

The OP has a Samsung so they boot into recovery the same way as all Samsungs.
    01-09-2016 10:30 AM
    Samsung grand prime

01-09-2016 10:30 AM
    Before moving on to finding the cause of your phone seeming slow....

What phone do you have? I don't think you said what.

Just to be clear, clearing out the cache partition might help if the phone as fine before an update but sluggish afterwards. Or so I've heard. I've done many. many updates since starting with Android v1.0 and never needed to clear the cache partition. I say the odds of cache files causing a slow phone are low. But if your phone slows immediately after an update I suppose it's worth a shot. Go ahead if you want to try it. Look for instructions specifically for your phone.

If clearing caches is no help or, if like me, you want to look elsewhere for the problem first then let's do some basic trouble shooting. Many people say to start in Safe Mode and begin starting apps until the phone slows. I much prefer to have the phone running normally but in sluggish condition if possible so I can gather information about the problem. You need tools to get information. Install System Panel, it makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pp.systempanel

The opening screen gives most of the basic information you need. With the phone just sitting at idle check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, just sitting and idling CPU should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. RAM usage should be about 70-85%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed.

If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders. Normally, at idle there should be little or no activity there. System Panel itself will probably be the biggest user of CPU cycles.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the apps list. Check for a non-service app (will not say 'Service under the name) you have not used recently or shows high memory usage. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM. A tap on the app listing shows much more detailed info. Note that browsers will show high memory usage by nature..

If you think you found a problem app try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process (usually a green robot icon), no worry, it will just restart. If CPU and/or RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.
    If nothing looks wrong with any particular app, try shutting down apps one at a time until the phone feels better.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performance.

Edit @Kelly: I agree we disagree. :^)
    01-09-2016 11:07 AM
    They have a Galaxy Grand Prime, the cache wipe is the same as the Note 5.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    01-09-2016 11:16 AM
    Alright so u got it if my phone runs slow clear cache from certain apps if it's still slow clear all cache and of that doesn't help clear cache partition

And If you have a system update you should always clear ur cause partition after the update

Am I right

01-09-2016 11:46 AM
    Crash and I aren't going to agree on always clearing after an update. I always do and don't wait to see if there is an issue first. Clearing it after an update doesn't hurt, but you have to understand it can slow things a bit after clearing it.

I only clear the cache of an app if a particular app is not acting right.

Myself, if my phone was running really slow, I would wipe the cache partition.

Crash is more conservative than I am about wiping the cache partition, but I am conservative about doing it.. Only when experiencing a problem or after an update. Many people clear it like weekly, which doesn't do anything and is counter productive.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    01-09-2016 11:59 AM
    Guys why does Google services waste so much of my battery I'm trying to know is that normal? ?? What am I doing wrong why is Google services wasting my battery that didn't happen last time

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Prime Questions from New User-83.jpg  
    01-09-2016 03:17 PM
    Chart

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Prime Questions from New User-84.jpg  
    01-09-2016 03:18 PM
    1. That's 8% of the 22% that's been used (100-78=22), so it used about 1.76% of the battery - that's not a lot.

2. Look at the list at the bottom - that's what could be using services - contact sync, the framework itself, the account manager - those things run when they're needed.

3. You've used only 22% of the battery in about 8 hours - that's pretty good. A lot of people would love to get through a full 8 hour work day without having to charge the phone before leaving.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2016 03:22 PM
    You can disable Google play services if you don't need it

Just so you understand, this is what it does :

Google Play services is used to update Google apps and apps from Google Play.
    This component provides core functionality like authentication to your Google services, synchronized contacts, access to all the latest user privacy settings, and higher quality, lower-powered location based services.
    Google Play services also enhances your app experience. It speeds up offline searches, provides more immersive maps, and improves gaming experiences.
    Apps may not work if you uninstall Google Play services.
    01-09-2016 05:36 PM
    Guys I keep turning my location services off on my Samsung grand prime and it keeps turning on my itself does anyone know what to do or know how to fix it because it just keeps turning on by itself

01-09-2016 10:55 PM
    It could be some app that you have installed. Normally it should not turn on by itself. You can try to do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem
    01-09-2016 11:02 PM
279 ... 7891011 ...