Google Play Movies/Music Won't Download to SD card

A

AC Question

I upgraded my tablet to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 a few weeks ago and just now got a micro SD card for it (128 GB). I've inserted it, formatted it, and it is mounted. In both Google Play Movies and Music I have configured in the app settings to use the SD card for downloads, but whenever I attempt to download a movie or album it just spins forever at 0%. If I stop it, unmount the card and switch the app settings back to use internal storage then downloading works perfectly.

The micro SD is brand new and as I said I formatted it in the device, so I'm stumped as to what the problem could be. Any ideas?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm strange. I would try to format the SD card using a card reader connected to a Windows PC and try formatting it to ex-FAT. It may be the card has a problem but I would try the PC route first. Do you have another SD card you could try?

eahinrichsen

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I know this is an old post, but I didn't see the solution that worked for me in the comments. I activated Adoptable Storage on my Shield Tablet and had the exact same issue with Google Play Movies. I ended up clearing the app data (go to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Movies & TV -> Storage -> Clear Data). Downloading worked immediately after that. I hope you already resolved your issue, but if not, I hope that helps!

gbsb31

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I know this is an old post, but I didn't see the solution that worked for me in the comments. I activated Adoptable Storage on my Shield Tablet and had the exact same issue with Google Play Movies. I ended up clearing the app data (go to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Movies & TV -> Storage -> Clear Data). Downloading worked immediately after that. I hope you already resolved your issue, but if not, I hope that helps!

Awesome!!!! Thank you so much!! That worked perfectly. It was driving me nuts that my S7 kept trying to store everything on my internal memory, even though I had a ginormous external SD.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to take that one step further and allow to download on all networks. I have a Verizon version, didn't really want one, but it is not activated on Verizon and never will be, but this seemed to be what I needed to do. Now at last movies are finally downloading, which is the only reason I got this tablet to replace my Tab 4. I got it for the storage.

Linda Schultz

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can help me, I don't even get the option to change location for my downloads in settings. All I get under downloads is manage downloads and quality. I'm using a Dell Venue 5050 running Android 5.0.2. I don't know enough about Android to figure this out on my own and am ready to pull my hair out. Google seems to be the only program that doesn't see the sd card. I have other movies on it from iTunes and they work just fine. Of course I had to load them from my PC, but still that isn't even an option with Google. Really getting fed up with them. If I can't figure this out I guess I'll have to go back to itunes even though it's a bit cumbersome. At least it works.

Robminnaert

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Same problem. My play app settings lack the option to select download location. Everything is downloaded to my limited interal storage rather than my copious external SD.
The phone uses the external storage, but not for installing apps either. I have to manually move all the apps to the SD card to free up space, and only the apps that allow to be moved.
To my understanding, this is a limitation of the phone. Something in the architecture. Perhaps a root solution exists, but I'm staying away from root

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay