I want a Smartphone that I can operate in WiFi Only and still use my GSM SIM for voice.

A

AC Question

I'm tech savvy but have never used a Smartphone as I am not interested in having cell carrier data charges. I currently use a GoPhone and pay $25 every 3 months for voice use which gives me way more minutes than I ever use and my minutes carry over so I have like $230 in credit. I know that I can purchase a Smartphone and turn data off but I've read that if my carrier (In my case ATT) detects that I am using a smartphone but do not have a data plan that they can turn off my ability to make Voice Calls (My GoPhone uses GSM).

Is there a smartphone that I can purchase for use in the U.S. that I can disable cellular data and still use my ATT GoPhone Sim for voice calls and then use the APPS on WiFi ONLY and not have the carrier (ATT) detect my IMEI and then turn off my voice access?

motox22a

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I just registered to respond so my username is different from the original post.
Sorry but I failed to mention that I live in a very rural environment in Nevada.
T-Mobile access does not cover my area. The only thing that works in my area
is ATT and I am happy with my $25 every three months ($100 a year) voice plan.
I would just like to be able to use my current SIM in a Smartphone and disable cell data
and use the "smart" apps in a WiFi only environment. I am not looking for any type
of cell data plan. Just looking to be able to use my current voice plan SIM in a smart
phone and not have the carrier disable me because they detect my IMEI and Cell
as a smartphone with no data plan. I SHOULD be able to do this but I've read
that our crooked cell companies will disable your cell phone if they detect you are
doing this (And our "ball-less" Government won't do anything to stop them)...

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how they'd be able to disable your device for using it on wifi....nearly everyone nowadays has home wifi that provides a stronger signal than their service provider. The data plan is to use data over THEIR network, not on your own wifi....but I haven't ever looked into it, so not discounting what you've heard.

Another option would be to get a cheap wifi only tablet.

This may provide some other info
Ask AC: Can I use my phone just on Wifi without a carrier? | Android Central