The title says it all:
    "how often do you wipe the data cache partition - vol up, home, and power buttons held at one time till flashes then release the power button or all 3.
    01-16-2016 12:09 PM
    I use to wipe the cache partition after a system update and occasionally if I have some performance issue.
    01-16-2016 12:12 PM
    I appreciate your prompt reply.
    01-16-2016 12:18 PM
    I never touch the cache partition for the life of a device and have no problems or loss of performance. Not necessary or recommended unless you have specific problem(s) that may be related to cache files. Don't worry about it. Relax and enjoy using your phone.
    01-16-2016 12:44 PM
    I hear you. I did it after KitKat became Lollipop and it is smooth. TY
    01-16-2016 01:39 PM
    That's the system data cache partition, it's not the partition your apps use to cache data. As long as Android is running well, the ONLY reason to wipe it is if you're flashing a completely different ROM. (In over 2 years, that's the only time I've ever wiped the system cache in my note 3. My wife's is the same age, and the system cache has never been wiped.)

The user data cache is a different matter. It's where apps keep data they're holding onto temporarily. An app should clear its own cache when it closes, but unless the phone is choking because of lack of cache space, there/'s no reason to clear it. (It depends on the apps you run. Some of them leave loads of data in different places in the cache each time you run them [they request a block of space when they run (and get a new block each time), then don't release it when they're stopped]. After even a dozen runs, they can fill all of your cache space. Other apps are written properly and clean the cache when they no longer need the data - even if they're still running. You can run an app like that 10 times a day and not need to clear cache after 10 years.)
    Laura Knotek and Crashdamage like this.
    01-16-2016 06:38 PM
    Nice explanation Rukbat. It's what I've been saying all along but with the reasons I've been saying it laid out clearly. Thanks!

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    01-16-2016 07:41 PM
    I am used to Windows and maintenance. I understand your message and thank you for it.
    01-17-2016 08:19 AM