I cannot connect my phone to my laptop

A

AC Question

I want to view my android on my computer so I can use my all-I-can-eat date without the mobile hotspot

I followed online advice and checked compatibility.

I have an HDMI male to male lead (24k) and a MHL 3.0 connecting the Galaxy S4 Zoom to laptop Packard Bell running windows 7 home premium.

I am told all should be plug and play.

But when I plug there ain't no play. My computer remains with its home screen and without anything that suggests the android and the computer are connected

Do I need an app, or do I need to do something else or a special dance or something.

Hope someone can assist me to check what settings I need and/or what other apps I might need.

MikeCorsten

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
When you plug your handset into the PC, it will show as an external storage drive. Usually located under My Computer.

Are you trying to use the data on the mobile to surf on your laptop, if so then you will need to enable tethering on your handset.

Navigate to the Wireless and Network settings menu. ...
Click Tethering and Portable Hotspot or similar option.
Turn Portable WiFi hotspot or similar on and set a network name and/or password.
Connect to the network on your laptop via the available wireless networks in the bottom right hand corner (Windows).

vaguehippo

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
What you say is accurate for 'tethering'. I can tether easily enough but with my network provider I only get 12 Gb of tethering data. After that I can have all-I-can-eat but on my phone only and not whilst using my mobile hotspot.

So to use my phone but view its contents on my telly (don't have a telly) or laptop (have laptop) I can use an MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) cable to connect my phone to my laptop and then I can see all my visuals on my laptop using my phone to surf the web giving me full access to the internet and as much data as i want beyond the tethering hotspot facility.

Tethering hotspot that you describe is a different thing from Mobile High-definition Link (MHL). My tethering is working fine and with wi-fiI am using it now to write this. What I am trying to do is use my phone to surf the web which it does very well on its own but view that surfing on my laptop screen via an MHL lead.

MikeCorsten

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
If you want to surf on your mobile, but view that screen on your laptop, then you are going to need specific software to do that, a simple plug in of the device will not tell Windows, that's what your aim is.

You will need to mirror or cast your phone, Chromecast would be ideal in this situation for your TV, but judging by the looks of it would require either root or apps that require too much access to your device to view on your laptop

vaguehippo

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
It is odd as online youtube sources say no need for apps no need for airdroid and all should simply be plug and play...the MHL cable from phone to HDMI with external power source should do it and the S4 Zoom is compatible with MHL 3.0 but it doesn't do it as if one of the leads is not working at all...I have another monitor which I will drag out and try and see if it works...it might have something to do with my laptop...I did read about a 4k HDMI cable where mine is 24k I am wondering of this is making a difference

vaguehippo

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
sdly I have tried all you guys have said and it still has no effect...Airdroid, tried connecting it as a projector )windows button + P) and one or two others. but nowt...I think I need to find some answers elsewhere but thank you for your input