LG G4 reset virtually on its own, WHY

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I love my LG G4. But, I do not appreciate what just happened.

I was at work, doing what I do, got a phone call on the store line about a possible text from a 3rd party. Checked my phone, which I have locked with a knock code, and it told me to enter my back up pin. Ok, no problem, exept it didn't work.
After 5 tries, it asked my to type in a text "life is good" did that, and it reset. When it powered back on, I was able to retrieve my apps and contacts with literally no work, but, pictures-different story.
I don't care too much about my backup, I have the important stuff.
Why did my phone do what it did? I did not attempt the knock code at all, just straight to back up pin.
I still plan on using my G4, it would be interesting to see if it did that again. Does anyone know what could have caused this?
LG G4 Originally from Verizon
Currently on Metro PCS

I'll be working on what caused this myself, if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them if it means I know why my phone went full dodo. (you never go full dodo, LG)

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you explain a little more about the phone call you got on the store line? Was someone calling you about a text that was sent to your phone? Why would they do that? Did you know the person calling, or was it some automated call? I'm just wondering if some malicious package was delivered via SMS that triggered this.

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
My boss called to tell me he gave another store owner my number for some information, I just checked my phone to see if I missed a, call or text. I did not receive anything to my knowledge, the first thing that appeared when I unlocked,my phone was to imput the backup pin. I use malwarebytes antimalware to regularly check my device, it may have missed something, but, it was coming up clean.

I had a virus on my sd card. I immediately removed it, reset my phone, and formatted it twice in a different phone....

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I took the sd card out. Malware got on when I had my Samsung s3, I never caught it. Could have been on before that. But as soon as I found it on my g4, a week after I got it, I cleared everything and took every precaution.

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Malware scanned the card (how I found the problem in the first place) but it's been months since the incident. I run scans weekly manually, and I have malwarbytes run daily scans on its own. The reset is baffling me.