My husband's S6, in the last few days, had this overheating issue. The phone itself is not hot, he had like 3 apps downloaded, I erased the cache, used Safe Mode, and he's using the original charger. Short of a factory reset I have tried Every Avenue. Any new suggestions? TIA
    Also, it now won't charge because of this, so to try anything is tricky.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-31-2016 06:53 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is the cell signal strong? Poor signal can cause the phone to heat up as it works harder to boost the signal.

You said the phone itself is not hot, though--so do you mean that the phone is reporting it's overheating, but it's not actually warm?

Any recent water exposure?
    01-31-2016 08:40 PM
    Correct... Phone reporting overheating but not physically warm, we are a mile away from nearest tower so signal is always strong, and no water issues. I have the same phone and my has no issues (knock on wood).. Thank you for answering

02-01-2016 12:45 AM
    There's probably something wrong with the internal sensors, or the firmware responsible for interpreting those sensors. Water damage often seems to be associated with Samsung phones falsely reporting the battery being either too cold or too hot when it isn't--is your husband 100% sure it's never been exposed to water?

When you mention that you erased the cache, do you mean the system cache partition?
    02-01-2016 02:32 AM
    Definitely no water exposure. This all just happened within the last 4 days. And yes the cache partition is what I deleted. Through this system volume up, Home button, and power button.
    It is just confusing me that it happened all of a sudden. Its been charging and holding a battery fine until the last few days.

02-01-2016 03:59 PM
    Is the phone under warranty? It might be worth contacting Samsung about this.
    02-01-2016 04:46 PM
    I took it into Best Buy... They tried a software flash which didn't work so now I have to call Samsung! Thank you so much for all your help!

B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2016 06:00 PM
    Bringing a warm phone into a freezing environment, or a cold phone into a warm environment, can cause water damage. Water condenses inside the phone. Keep phones warm outdoors in the winter, and don't bring an air-conditioned phone directly into 95° 95% humidity air.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2016 06:36 PM