both gallery & photos are activated, both have same pictures, can 1 be deleted to open more memory space?
    02-02-2016 11:27 AM
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking as I don't know how/where you store your photos. But... think of the gallery as just a browser. All it does is show you content you have stored on your phone. It can show you videos stored in a video folder, or photos stored in a photo folder. When you take a picture, it'll show up in the gallery, but the actual photo might be in the camera folder.

If you start deleting photos while in the gallery, you will also delete the photos wherever they are actually stored... and you'll lose them. The gallery doesn't actually store photos.

That being said, you might "think" you have photos in two places, but that more than likely is not the case. Of course, like I mentioned earlier, I don't know how/where you store your photos, so all the above might not apply to you.

Here's a test. Go into your gallery and rename one of the photos. If the name of the photo you think is a copy also changes, then it's not really a copy... It's the same photo.
    02-02-2016 01:51 PM
    both gallery & photos are activated, both have same pictures, can 1 be deleted to open more memory space?
    Which phone do you have? Is it a Motorola? It doesn't mean that you have your pictures stored in two different places, just two gallery apps accessing the same files. Gallery should be the Motorola app (or your particular OEM) and Photos is the Google app.
    02-02-2016 01:57 PM
    You don't delete an app, you uninstall it, but yes, you can delete either or both Gallery and Photos without losing your pictures (but you'll need some app to view them with). But Gallery and Photos do things a little differently. Play with them and make sure you really want to uninstall one of them. You might like one feature in one that the other doesn't have, and vice-versa. I also have QuickPic installed - it also does things a little differently.)

None of the photo apps takes much storage space, so you're not going to save much by uninstalling them. (Most of their "data" space is your pictures and, as Javier said, it's the same pictures, whichever app you're using to look at them with, so you won't gain that space by deleting the apps..
    02-02-2016 02:10 PM