Going to factory reset my device what do I need to back up? Install apps directly to SD card?

F1reW4ll

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I've got my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I'm going to do a factory reset on it I'm going to move all of the files (Pictures and stuff) onto my pc and then put them on my new micro SD card I'm getting.
It's 64 Gigs.
I'm trying to think about what files I need to save.
As of now all I can think of are pictures and videos because I stream all of my music.
I figured I could just log in and reinstall the apps from the playstore.
Also how do I change it to where the playstore will install apps directly to the SD card?
Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to think about what files I need to save.
Anything you don't want to lose. (That includes older versions of apps, if they "improved" the newer version to the point that it's useless.) See Backing up an Android Device

Also how do I change it to where the playstore will install apps directly to the SD card?
That's not how computers work. (Even Windows, if you download to the D drive, first downloads to the C drive, then moves the downloaded file.) Android downloads to internal storage. The only way you can change that is to remount the card as "internal" storage (which will shorten the life of the card).