Deleting pre-loaded apps

A

AC Question

Can some apps that are download on my tablet (Samsung Tab A 8 inch) be deleted. I don't use several of them and they are taking up room on my storage so I don't have enough memory. They are pre-loaded apps such as Skype, powerpoint, excel, google play books, google play newsstand etc.... When I try to disable it says that other apps might not work.Any suggestions. I read something about rooting but I don't know what that means

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you would have to root the tablet before doing that. I recommend doing a good deal of reading about it before proceeding. Also, it usually voids the manufacturer's warranty.

In the meantime, you can Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force Stop, and if the option is there, Disable, those unwanted apps, probably without any ensuing problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
belodion is right about the need to root and doing your homework before you try.

You will not gain any space for installing more apps by deleting pre-loaded apps because they aren't installed in the same space.

Clearing caches is not good practice. They exist to speed up performance. So what good is an empty cache? Any space gained is only temporary anyway, since cache files will rebuild.

However, belodion is absolutely correct about how to proceed with disabling those apps you can.

Last edited:

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You can disable those apps you listed without no affects to other apps. That's just a generalized warning they have to put on there. Like mentioned above, force close the app then disable to app.

I always refer people to this blog when they are wanting to root or wanting to know a little more about it.

Also like mentioned above, simply deleting the app with root access will not give you more usable space. There are different partitions set up with the devices memory. A set amount is saved for the system files which is where the pre-installed apps are located at. Then you have the other partition which is the free space your phone reports to you that is for all other user data and apps.

Clearing cache on an app thats going to be disabled will not be rebuilt. Also, corruption occurs after so long in cached files. That's why it's the first suggestion when you start having problems with a particular app.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon